Broke Spoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

viniga

Guru
For the first time I broke a spoke out on a run. Back wheel was going over some uneven tarmac and 'twang'.

Wheel is a Planet X Model B wheel set, 2 months old with about 400 miles on it. It has bladed spokes.

First question: I would assume I have a warranty case here? Should I try to get the wheel replaced or just ask nicely for a new spoke?

Second: I rode the bike back home - trimmed my speed and avoided potholes like crazy... how risky was this? Was I in danger of my back wheel collapsing at any time? These wheels don't have that many spokes and I wasn't sure how much it was compromised.

Third - assuming I get a new spoke, what's the best way to fit it? Is this an LBS job? (I have trued the obb obvious buckle in my time).

PpPete

Legendary Member
I'd ask Planet X for at least a couple of spare spokes.
Not sure what fitting these are to the hub. If a conventional "elbow" type spoke then you can certainly fit them yourself. Don't worry about bending them to lace them through the existing spokes - the tension should be enough to remove any residual bend.

how risky was this? Was I in danger of my back wheel collapsing at any time? These wheels don't have that many spokes

No clue how risky this is. The fact that you're asking the question makes me think you are worried! I wouldn't be, but then I ride 36 spoke 3X :biggrin: which will likely still be useable even after multiple spoke loss.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
No spoke should break after such a short time(given normal usage).

Return to Planet X would be my first option - you could get a Sapim Aero spoke to replace it and it shouldn't be too big a job re-truing the wheel.

02GF74

Über Member
you don't mention how many spokes you have but one pinged isn't gonna make the wheel collapse.

A friend on mtb - 32 spoke had 3 or maybe 4 broken spokes and she still rode on it; not sure how I spotted it but the wheel did not collapse.

OP
OP
viniga

viniga

Guru
Thanks for the replies, I'll contact Planet X. Luckily I do have a spare wheel but I was worried last night about whether I should be riding the bike, sounds like it was fine.

Top Bottom