broken collarbone; how long to be off work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
got knocked off my bike on the way into work on wednesday, which left me with a broken collarbone.

i do a desk job, and can work from home if necessary.

i've signed myself off for a week, but may be able to work from home even if i can't get into the office (can't ride or drive; train too likely to result in getting a painful knock).

should i start back working from home or wait until i'm able to manage without a sling and painkillers?

vickster

Legendary Member
I’d see how it goes. Presumably if you don’t get sick pay, you can claim LOEs from driver

Hopefully it all heals properly without the need for surgery

GWS

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It very much depends on the attitude of your employers and what you are doing at work. I had a heart operation a while ago when I was in the middle of a very big contract. Being part of a two man company, I simply didn't have the option to take time off. My partner collected all the necessary stuff from my office/workshop and I was back in the trenches the day after I was discharged from hospital.

I hope you mend quickly.

I found that healing a bone (elbow in my case) was extremely tiring. Between that and the painkillers all I wanted to do for a couple of weeks was sleep. And wince/swear/snivel.... I was off work for about 4 weeks iirc, but my job involves travelling between sites by bike or bus, being in busy places surrounded by kids, carting stuff about, and scrabbling under desks and lots of computer use. I couldn't even type properly - couldn't use the shift key.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have broken 8 different bones now. 4 were before I started my working life. I went back to work the next day although 2 lots were whilst I was on holiday. When I broke my two ribs my boss came up to me and sent me home. He said I was off my nut. I hadn’t noticed but I wasn’t having a good time on the strong painkillers and apparently it was very noticeable. I stopped taking them.

Not much help to you I know, but I love a good war story.

EDIT: Self employed. Says everything.

Last edited:

bianchi1

Guru
I was back to work as a chef in 3 weeks. But I was lucky enough to have a plate put in mine. I just layed off the heavy lifting for a further 4 weeks.

More importantly I was on the turbo trainer in a week and road riding (carefully) in 7 weeks.

I had a friend who did his in the same week as mine who didn't have surgery. They were incapacitated for 3 months...then had surgery.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Ideally you need to keep the affected arm still , I imagine the hospital has already provided you with a sling and has told you what you can and can't do, that's pretty much the key to recovery, if you're managing with one arm then potentially you could return to work, I was off work for six weeks, and then I returned on light duties, which for me was sitting at a work bench assembling computers very slowly, using one hand.. I returned to my normal work duties after two months, but even at two months I was still taking it easy a bit.

vickster

Legendary Member
Depends on if you are in the public sector, private sector or worse still self employed.
Except the solicitor can claim for loss of earnings as soon as liability is admitted. If self employed and if linked to struggle if unable to work, it's probably sensible to have LOE insurance

@alecstilleyedye assune you've read the accident info sticky in commuting

screenman

Legendary Member
Except the solicitor can claim for loss of earnings as soon as liability is admitted. If self employed and if linked to struggle if unable to work, it's probably sensible to have LOE insurance

@alecstilleyedye assune you've read the accident info sticky in commuting

Have you seen the premiums, most self employed I know cannot afford it, unfortunately.

Drago

Legendary Member
Follow the advice of your Doc. Broke my collarbone as a sprog and bounced back right quick, but 43 years later I doubt I'd feel chipper so quickly.

Good luck.

Top Bottom