Broken hanger.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doug.

Veteran
When my chain broke and jammed the wheel it also smashed the hanger.
It is a carbon fibre frame and I do not know what make the frame is.
I have tried the L.B.S for a replacement also e.bay without success
Can any one offer advice or assistance where I can obtain a replacement hanger ?

Thank you.

Doug.

C R

Guru
When my chain broke and jammed the wheel it also smashed the hanger.
It is a carbon fibre frame and I do not know what make the frame is.
I have tried the L.B.S for a replacement also e.bay without success
Can any one offer advice or assistance where I can obtain a replacement hanger ?

Thank you.

Doug.
Hangers are frame specific, are there no markings at all to give a clue what the frame may be?

Ajax Bay

Guru
I went looking in the OP's posts to see if he had said what his bike frame is: no joy. Without that finding the correct hanger will be a challenge.
However I'll share two 2018 quotes because I suspect this may have exacerbated the risk of his rear derailleur going into his spokes (see other thread) fortunately with minimal damage, because hanger broke, by design,
I have bought a hanger extender
The OP wanted a lower gear (believe he would qualify for a free TV licence if in UK (2019 BBC licence regime)).
A risk of an RD extender (eg Wolftooth) is that it's more likely to end up in the spokes. The OP's desire for lower gears would be better satisfied by smaller chainrings, not a mahoosive cassette (10sp). It's bad form to quote one's own posts, but I'm going to anyway (from 2018). Bottom line: Get a sub-sub-compact chainset, remove the extender and fit an 11-32 cassette.
http://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=...25,28,32&UF=2215&TF=90&SL=2.6&UN=KMH&DV=teeth
Assuming the RD is a 'road' RD, then the OP will likely struggle on two counts if they try to fit a cassette with a 40t largest sprocket:
1) Even with a long cage, and assuming at least a 16t difference between largest and smallest chainring, no normal road RD will wrap the 45t capacity that you've implied.
2) The RD cage guide wheel will likely interfere with the 40t sprocket and make changing to it problematic. You can screw the 'B' screw right in or even insert it from the opposite direction but still.
How much space is there now between guide jockey wheel and the 36t? The 40t will be about 8mm closer to the guide wheel.
Given that the OP has already got a 36t sprocket, as others have suggested, if you must have / need a lower low gear, change your chainrings (ability to do this beneficially will depend on crankset and its BCD).

Probably this: Wolf-Tooth-Components/Road-Link-Rear-Derailleur-Hanger

Reactions: C R

Big John

Guru
Hopefully you've not thrown the bits of the broken hanger away? If you could stick the bits back together and give us all an idea of what it looks like that'll help. There are about 150 (or more!) types of hanger and even finding the right one from a photo won't be easy. We've got a drawerful of used hangers at the bike charity where I work and there's a remote chance we might have one with the emphasis on the word 'remote'.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'll echo Big John in saying hopefully you've got the broken one. It's fairly doable (and occasionally, surprisingly easy) to match an old hanger with a replacement, but it'll be nigh on impossible to find the right one with nothing to match it against and no knowledge of who made the bike.

(I say "occasionally surprisingly easy".... but that depends on the manufacturer. It was easy to visually find a replacement for a 2019 Carrera hanger on my daughter's bike, but one from a 1982 Raleigh (when you don't know it's a 1982 Raleigh) will be a different matter).

Ajax Bay

Guru
It is a carbon fibre frame and I do not know what make the frame is. . . .
[I've lost] The broken hanger
How about sharing any detail, words, numbers that are on the frame? Where did you buy the bike/frame? Can you go back to them for details?
No hanger: no ride.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A bit late now, but I buy a spare hanger for all my bikes at the same time as I buy the bike. I am too nervous of a company going under or stopping supply of hangers for older bikes. I prefer to be be a little bit out of pocket, rather than off the road potentially without ever getting the frame up again.

Top Bottom