broken LH XT shifter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I've got some Shimano M770 XT shifters that are about 18 months old and haven't seen all much much use - especially the LH one. Anyway, the LH shifter has completely stopped working.

Is it possible to get inside the workings and give it a good clean out? Anyone had a similar problem?

I've looked for a spare but it appears that you can either buy a pair or just a RH shifter; not just a LH shifter!

GrahamG

Guru
Not answering your question much but if it comes to a replacement, I just got a LH LX shifter from Chain Reaction for a tenner.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
The only thing you can do get it working again is give it a squirt with some WD40, leave to soak, spray some lube in and try it again.
If you try to dismantle it, it will spring all over the garage, and it will never work properly again. They really are unserviceable ime

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
cheers, I'll blast it with spray lube (WD40 GT85) and see if that helps; if not I guess I'll be buying a replacement ;-(

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
cheers, I'll blast it with spray lube (WD40 GT85) and see if that helps; if not I guess I'll be buying a replacement ;-(

02GF74

Über Member
realy depends on what has gone wrong?

friend had shiofter go wrong as cable got caught - it was easy fix.

I had shift go wrong as the ratceht pawl wore out - nothing to fix there - had to buy new shifter eventhough the part would have cost 5p.

Take the plastic covers off to see what is going in inside. something may be out of place or stuck and you may be able to fix/lube etc.

once you start taking it apart so the ickle springs go pinging off, you can forget about assembling it again unless very careful/lucky.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
well I don't know exactly but it's not cable related - basically the levers just move freely and easily with absolutely nothing happening - it was something that got worse very quickly but not just in 1 second so I would say that nothing has broken off, just siezed or stuck inside the mechanism. Even from new they gave me a feeling that they wouldn't last very long! 18 months of normal use is not very good for £80 shifters!

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
Went to look at my broken LH shifter last night armed with WD40 and to my surprise the RH shifter had also stopped working.

I blasted them both with WD40 and nothing happened so I blasted some more. After about 2 minutes and half a can of WD40 they both came back to life! Went out today in the snow and both worked without problems!

Glad I didn't buy a new set of shifters for £65 - thanks for the advice.

PS. Never had this happen before in 20 years of MTBing!

Top Bottom