Broken spoke day...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Spokes in a poorly built (ie inadequate tensioned) wheel will undergo the same quantatitive change in tension every 'cycle' as a spoke in a well-built wheel (same rim/spokes) so I can't see why there would be a difference (in distance ridden) in fatigue failure. Clearly there'll be a wide range in the MTBF. But I agree: replace one, replace a second, relace wheel on third breakage (exempting because of trauma). An inspection of the end of the broken spoke might give a clue to why each spoke broke. I asked the spoke breaker to take the cassette off and check the other 14 spokes (for damage by a chain lost inwards or by (repeated) cage impact).

Last edited:
Yeah, ok, that seems fair! What do you mean by cage impact?

rjacobs

Regular
Really interesting. They haven't phoned me back yet so will call tomorrow and either get them to replace all spokes or find someone that will. With the old mavics I'll order replacement spokes and have a go at doing it myself. Obviously I get a bit nervous when I'm far from home as all three occasions have required me to call for a lift as the wheel goes well out of shape! I've ordered a replacement spoke to carry when I doing lejog in a few weeks time so will need to learn how to complete a basic repair job regardless.

Ajax Bay

Guru
replacement spoke to carry [for] lejog
On my end-to-end I carried a spare spoke (of a length which at a push would fit front, and rear left side) and also spare brake and gear cables. I also sent a spoke, a supply of magic (preferred) drink powder and some socks forward to my friends in Lancaster (end Day 4). In the event, didn't need any (32/36 spoke wheels). In retrospect (and currently for rides of more than 300km eg BCM, LEL, PBP, WH1000) I should have carried a spare (used/folding/light) tyre (225g) instead of the cables and spoke (?100g).
I carry a tiny spanner ?1.2mm to adjust nipples if necessary (but a long while since I needed to use it on the road, for my own wheels).
Zipp 101 front with 18 spokes is a perfectly functional wheel for a light 80kg rider: look up the spec - but not with a broken spoke.

Yeah it’s say 107kg but come on that has to be marketing hype, my Ultegra front I had to really open the brake clearance far more than I’d like normally.

I had another cheaper set of Shimano stock wheels on my everyday commuter fully loaded with me and all the work kit ie double full panniers then one days a spoke on the front exploded its to lots of bits, scared the living daylights out of me and made the low spoke front unrideable but thankfully only a couple of miles from a very good LBS (now gone) and the train station

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
The ability to re-true wheels (to an acceptable standard) is one of the most useful skills I have acquired. If there was one skill I would recommend (to anybody with any interest in mechanics at all) to acquire it would be this.

I have repaired wheels on my bike (and various other bikes) literally dozens of times over the past 5 years. I usually stop when the wheel is withing approx 1/2 mm to true (which to me is good enough).

My first attempts at this was just to replace individual spokes when they snapped and I would just tighten them enough just to get the wheel 'good enough' to ride. My daughter bought me a trueing stand for Christmas. It's a bit of a cheap one but it has done the job. The only thing I have yet to master is truing for completely round. I think you have to loosen spokes but I have never quite got this to work successfully.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I'd call that 'undervaluing their time and expertise' or 'generating customer goodwill'.

It is a small shop in a back street that deals in 2nd hand bikes and repairs, think he may even live next door, been around for 40 years..

http://www.eastgatecycles.com

I think it is just pocket money doing a job he like... funny enough I have had another go today so my wheel is there now, opened at 10am, dropped off at 11am and I can collect at 10am in the morning...

Top Bottom