Broken spoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I have just noticed I have a broken spoke on my Trek hybrid rear wheel. I reckon it was yesterday when I hit a pothole. I stopped and checked the rim but found nothing amiss so with much cursing of Hertfordshire council whose roads are on a par with some African banana republic I rode home without problems and without noticing the broken spoke. All the other spokes still feel nicely tensioned so hopefully I will be able to just slot the new spoke in and tension it up to match the others.

The spokes will be a few days coming (I had to order 10) so the break off the bike will do me good as I have been pushing up the miles recently in readiness for the Dunwich Dynamo.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
You can normally source a single spoke from your LBS.

Add a little oil to the tip of the spoke and also to the rim, where the nipple head sits on the rim.

When you have added some tension to the spoke, pluck the spoke and compare the sound with neighbouring spokes on the same side of the wheel. You wont get it 100% the same pitch but it will be a job well done it you get it close enough, within half a tone.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The owner of the bike shop I use told me when one spoke goes, a couple of others often follow, even after the first has been replaced.

Compo might be glad of his spares.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
The owner of the bike shop I use told me when one spoke goes, a couple of others often follow, even after the first has been replaced.

Compo might be glad of his spares.

That was my thought exactly which was why I was happy to have a few spares.

Top Bottom