Broken Spoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
Riding along yesterday I heard a snap. Sure it was a spoke I had a poke around, but in the dark and cold I couldn't actually see or feel it. When I got home, about a mile later, I noticed the brake pad touching the rim causing the wheel not to move. Today I realised it was a spoke that has broken/snapped near the hub on the rear wheel.

I guess I have a couple of silly questions:

1. What do you do with a broken spoke - will the bike shop replace it/fix it (and I guess it needs truing too bearing in mind the brake pad issue), and will it then be as good as new? What would this cost?

2. Would you expect a broken spoke on a bike just 10 weeks old / 700 miles. Seems I am having some really bad luck at the minute. Something to bear in mind maybe was my starting weight of 18 stone.

FYI this is the bike http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2014.giant.escape.2/14980/66557/

evo456

Über Member
Just had one go on mine recently- yes local bike shop will be more than happy to replace spoke and re-true the wheel. It would be as good as new if you get the whole wheel checked out. Depending on number of spokes that needs replacing, typically it cost £10 + £1 for each spoke replace. Ask the shop to check the tension in the other spokes and give the other spokes a tap.

10 weeks sounds young, but 700 miles is a fair bit of mileage and it also depends on riding conditions and surfaces, factor in weight it's hard to tell others may have a different view.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I was forever breaking spokes when I first started, they will get less as you lose weight. As long as the wheel isn't damaged (apart from the broken spoke) then it will be fine. Cost wise same as above.

Also the stock wheels are not likely to be a brilliant set, I would be planning on upgrading them when you can afford to.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Thanks. Will phone the bike shop tomorrow.

This probably sounds daft, but I assume they would only need the wheel not the whole bike taking in?

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Ten weeks old then they should fix it for free.....id hope. Thing is bikes of this price range often have low quality wheels....it is almost certain more will go, usually rear wheel, on the side of the casette. Shops normally charge around 10 pounds to replace a spoke but you can almost guarentee youll be popping back again and again. So, either learn to do it yourself.....it is very easy, or get the wheel rebuilt with good quality stainless steel spokes. That way you can be sure you wont have a spoke go when youre miles from home. Other option is a new set of good quality wheels......

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
It cost £10.

Put the tyre back on, put it back on the bike - who would think putting a wheel in could be so difficult :blush:, then it went flat :angry::angry::angry: Gave up trying to patch the tube in the end nothing would stick and put a new one in instead.

Just realised too the bike shop didn't put the spoke protecting disc back on. I thought it looked a bit odd.

Top Bottom