Broken Spoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gummo

I need to replace a broken spoke on the rear wheel of my Giant Escape 0. Please tell me which one I need to buy - the rim is Giant S-X2.

Also, I will need to remove the cassette first so I need advice on the tools for this.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Best to remove and measure one of the good ones. Spoke length is measured from the inside of the elbow to the very end.

You will need a Hyperglide cassette removal tool, a large spanner and a chainwhip to get the cassette off. That lot will cost about £30-40. Can you borrow them? Might be cheaper just to get a bike shop to fix it.

Mike_P

Guru
If you have more than one LBS check the price, one near me (Chevin) does (or at least early this year did) it for £10+the price of the spoke, others were somewhat dearer

OP
OP
Gummo

Gummo

I should have mentioned that the spoke kindly snapped at the connection to the hub - see pic. I don't know if I've measured from the correct side of the J.

Also I'm thinking of this set for the removal of the cassette.

?hash=a3abe19d77ab9b6335b31fe508037224.jpg

Attachments

• 20191007_101653.jpg
    20191007_101653.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 5

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
If there is a Decathlon near you you could buy one of these.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-19-...MIuse45YOK5QIVCbLtCh06hQx6EAQYASABEgJwlfD_BwE

You would probably need a sufficiently big adjustable spanner though (to turn the lock ring tool)

It has a chain whip, a lock ring removal tool and a spoke key plus various other bits that would be generally useful (e.g. hex keys, crank removal tool, chain break tool etc.). There are hundreds of video's on youtube of how to do this.

iluvmybike

Über Member
I should have mentioned that the spoke kindly snapped at the connection to the hub - see pic. I don't know if I've measured from the correct side of the J.

Also I'm thinking of this set for the removal of the cassette.

View attachment 488156
That set you refer to is a freewheel remover - you need the cassette remover - the chain whip is for either but not that remover

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
That set you refer to is a freewheel remover - you need the cassette remover - the chain whip is for either but not that remover

In the technical information it says:

1 cassette remover for Shimano HG.
(sorry, got confused. You were talking about another set. I was referring to a Decathlon set shown further back.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gummo

Gummo

Got a set from Amazon - worked out well although I had to get a muscle man to move the wrench. I managed to true the wheel with some nifty improvisation.

Thanks everyone for your kind attention and knowledge.

Top Bottom