Broken spoke!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I've a habit of popping round to see the bike at lunchtime to make sure all is okay for the homeward journey.

This afternoon, I noticed a broken spoke on the rear wheel. I don't carry a spare spoke.

Will I be okay riding home or should I only ride it when I've replaced the spoke?

Wheel's slightly out of true. It's a 12 miles journey and I'm a heavy bloke (16st) carrying a light pannier.

You should remove the spoke so it does not shred the tube.

OP
OP
Moodyman

Moodyman

Legendary Member
So are you saying that it's fine to ride home if I remove the broken spoke and be careful?

Well, I wouldn't bother removing the spoke until I got home, what with getting the tyre, tube and rimtape off and on again in order to do it. It may be that there is a quicker way, but it could depend whether the spoke broke at the shoulder or nipple end. I suppose you could use a pair of pliers to cut it free at both ends.

I don't think I have ever had a shredded inner tube from a broken spoke, but different people may have. I would just be careful and pay attention to what you are are hearing and feeling. How much do you want to risk having a shredded tube verses the time spent to take it out?

OP
OP
Moodyman

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It broke at the hub end.

I carry a spare tube, so if it does shred, I'll replace it and remove the spoke at the time.

dodgy

Is the spoke broken at the elbow (AKA near the hub)? <---edit after seeing your post written more or less the same time as mine !

Try and secure the loose spoke against one of the good ones to stop it from flapping around, it could easily cause problems if it was allowed to foul the chain/derailleur.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You might be able to unscrew it from the nipple. The riimtape will keep the nipple in situ. Otherwise just tie it to another spoke or bend it round one to stop it flapping. It's perfectly possible to replace a spoke without even taking the tyre off.

dodgy said:
Is the spoke broken at the elbow (AKA near the hub)? <---edit after seeing your post written more or less the same time as mine !

Try and secure the loose spoke against one of the good ones to stop it from flapping around, it could easily cause problems if it was allowed to foul the chain/derailleur.

That's good advice if you do not want to remove it, certainly take it easy on the way home and get it sorted as soon as possible.

Ian H said:
You might be able to unscrew it from the nipple. The riimtape will keep the nipple in situ. Otherwise just tie it to another spoke or bend it round one to stop it flapping. It's perfectly possible to replace a spoke without even taking the tyre off.

I've been mulling this over and trying to work out how this could be. I have just had an opportunity to try as a spoke went on Monday. A simple task that cut the time and effort down to a quick fettle without having to fight the tyre or needing new rim tape. Thanks for the suggestion.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Depends where the spoke is, if drive side, you'll need to remove casette.

Leave tyre on, thread new spoke through hub, matching the lacing pattern, and up to the nipple. Bend spoke untip the thread meets the nipple, and tighten with a spoke key - this will pull the spoke in. Sorted...no need to remove tyre.