Broken spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I broke a spoke on the rear wheel about 14 months ago. I've no idea why. Luckily I was only a couple of hundred yards from home as I wasn't able to ride it like that.

I had the spoke replaced and haven't really thought about it since. But should I be worrying? Once one has snapped is it likely that the others will too? I don't want it happening again. Should I be thinking about replacing the spokes (or wheels) now?

The wheels have done about 8000 miles (and 2200 since the spoke snapped).

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Depends if they correctly retensioned the wheel when they replaced the broken one. After 2000+ miles it seems like they've done a good job, a poorly tensioned wheel would see the overloaded ones failing very quickly after replacements are fitted.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
My LBS advised me that the first couple of times (of spokes breaking) not to worry, if it is if they start breaking regularly then you should think of changing the wheel (or I presume a rebuild if you are on expensive wheels) . If you have done over 2,000 miles without a further break, then I can't see you have anything to worry about.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Which bike shop do you use. Always useful to know the decent ones for when I'm back up and taking a trip to fortress Croft Park (weeps quietly at the last 18 months)

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
It happened over a year ago and you have done thousands of miles on the wheel, so I really wouldn't worry ;)

As a rule though - when one goes, it is often followed by another. Sometimes you have to retension the entire wheel, instead of simply replacing the broken one.

as others have said, would not worry. a single broken spoke that has not been repeated is really not an issue assuming your wheel is still true which can be judged by eye against a brake pad - if you see a visible wobble then you may need to get it looked at but otherwise don't worry.
my OH broke 6 spokes in total before i took drastic action with his rear wheel slackening off each and every spoke by 1/2 turn and re-trueing the wheel and since have not broken anymore whatsoever despite covering many more miles.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Which bike shop do you use. Always useful to know the decent ones for when I'm back up and taking a trip to fortress Croft Park (weeps quietly at the last 18 months)

I generally use EBC in Byker - that's where the bike came from. I used Fergusons for a service in the summer and was happy enough with them.

Where are you based now? I used to watch the Spartans in the good old days, but cycling is much more fun :smile:

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Thanks everyone, I'm much more reassured now :smile:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I generally use EBC in Byker - that's where the bike came from. I used Fergusons for a service in the summer and was happy enough with them.

Where are you based now? I used to watch the Spartans in the good old days, but cycling is much more fun :smile:
I've been down in Manchester for a long time and have cut back quite a lot on watching Blyth to save money, Not been at all this year, I used to be sure to coincide visits up with home games.

You can't beat Byker for bikes, I've not been in that EBC yet, just had a quick look up Shields Rd last time I dropped a couple of donations off to Recyke y'bike at the other end. I like EBC tho, their Manchester shop and staff are very good.

Glad you're reassured on the spokes, you can do a quick rule of thumb test by plucking them like a harp string, any overly tight or loose ones will feel wrong and twang differently. Its a good thing to do every so often as it is often loose spoke(s) putting unequal load around the rest of the wheel that causes others to snap.

Top Bottom