Broken Spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Same thing is happening to me. Currently up to 4 broken spokes on the rear wheel since February. All on the drive side. I have mavic cxp22 rims with 32 spokes so should be bomb proof, which are the stock wheels on the bike. They've also only done approx 1600miles since new.

My LBS says I'm unlucky and the poor state of the roads in the area. I'm reaching the conclusion that it is either my riding style or my wheels were built using spaghetti. The first was due to bad roads. The next two came to light when I got the bike out and found the rim rubbing the brakes and have no idea how they happened. The fourth went last sunday 10 miles into a club ride. This one let go when I started giving it the beans going up a sharp hill. Sounded like an airgun going off. Thankfully managed to nurse the bike home.

The dilemma I have is, do I persevere with the wheel and keep getting it repaired, get a better set of factory wheels for around £200 to £300, or get some hand built wheels?

Decisions. Decisions.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Interestingly I was watching a film about that bloke who broke the round-the-world record and he suffered a couple of broken spokes quite early in the trip with his special back wheel built up with an internally geared hub. He went to a good LBS in Turkey and the mechanic explained that because the spokes had been hand-cut to length they were weak around the thread area. He rebuilt the wheel properly and by the middle of episode 2 on Youtube, when I got bored, he was still cruising along on the rebuilt wheel.

Robeh

[QUOTEWe can all do with losing a few pounds, but I weight 13 1/2 stoneQUOTE]im 14,5 stone never snapped a spoke maybe your just very unlucky.

Top Bottom