Broken Steel, I Guess I Was Lucky.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I notice what looks like incomplete brazing at the seat cluster lug.
My old (60s Holdsworth) frame snapped by a cable-stop on the top-tube. I lashed it together with a handy piece of discarded rope and a toe-strap, and rode the 12 miles home. Its replacement was already on order.

View attachment 582273

Pretty prescient to have ordered a new toe strap! it's annoying as hell to ride with just one.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Pretty prescient to have ordered a new toe strap! it's annoying as hell to ride with just one.
It (the new frame) eventually arrived three months later.
DSC_0111.JPG

I've got a pair of genuine Alfredo Binda leather toe straps looking for a good home. Ideal for on the spot frame repairs. All interested parties please form an orderly queue.

Fredo76

Über Member
I think that frame was doo-doo before the moment it left the factory, before it was sprayed even, due to poor workmanship. Which area failed first God only knows, because each had been compromised for quite some time, evidently. The only portion of the top tube joint that was brazed adequately was the portion that's still in the lug. The braze-on area crack had existed for some time before the last un-cracked portion gave way.

I think a new worker built that frame, possibly in an on-the-job training situation. The seat lug was never filled, and the boss area was overheated. I'd never buy that brand again, that's for sure. Perhaps that is unfair, but...

Top Bottom