Broken Streamer Fairing. A cheap fix.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
So my Streamer fairing gave up the ghost a few weeks ago. Thought I'd bang a thread showing how I fixed it. A new bracket would've been quite expensive, and I felt that as the o.e. part broke, a new one would suffer the same fate (I ride on some rough roads.) Me being me, (tight, and crap at d.i.y) I thought I'd have a go at bodging it.

The part that broke was the bracket that fits underneath and holds the main support for the front of the fairing. See below-I'm holding the part that broke.
S1054047_zps26270463.jpg

I reused the original part that holds the tube which supports the front of the fairing. I sandwiched it between 2 thickish steel plates, one behind, resting against the bottom bracket, the other in front, which is pressed tightly by the plates that came with the u-bolts (ordered off ebay.) The plates (which are covered with black insulating tape) bent nicely as I tightened the nuts up, and any worries about the u-bolts twisting have vanished. I've been for a quick test run, and it seems to work perfectly, the fairing is fixed solidly and it should last forever.

S1054037_zps715b43aa.jpg

S1054036_zps072150bd.jpg

S1054043_zps3a7e43c8.jpg

Many thanks to 'Hercule' for giving me the u-bolt idea. My setup is a bit simpler than yours (and about the best I'm capable of achieving!) and the quick release function has vanished (due to the u-bolts clamping it tight anyway) but I never adjusted/removed it anyway, so it'll do for me.

Top Bottom