Bromley Cyclists - Charing (Kent) Circular ride – Saturday 17th October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Here we go again with another Bromley Cyclists ride. :bicycle:

Although an LCC and Bromley Cyclists event, You do not need to be a member to take part. Tourers, Roadies, Hybrids, experienced riders and those not so, . . we wait for all... Just turn up and go . . .
All are welcome.

Day: Saturday 17th October 2009
Contact Ride Leader: Andrew Fergar
Email : kayacan@aol.com
Mobile : 07717 693 701 (no text's please)

Meeting Points
Bromley South Station: Meet Andrew on the forecourt at 8.15am for the 8.34 to Charing arriving 9.35am

Charing Station 9.35am
meet the train contingent at Charing Station. Please let us know if you wish to do this

The train also calls at West Malling, Maidstone East and Bearsted if any one wishes to join us en route.

The Ride
Not a particularly difficult ride of between 45-50 miles – a moderate pace and suited to cyclists used to some distance, the ride also features few hills along the way, passing through classic English countryside with many villages and leafy lanes to enjoy, mainly away from major traffic. We'll stop for :biggrin: & :cheers: at The Six Bells in Woodchurch, near Appledore, and are looking at getting back to Charing for the 16:13 return train, perhaps earlier if possible.

Nb - We will pass by the Biddenden Cider Works at about 11:30 am - so If folk are interested we will pop in to buy cider , nibbles , local wine etc ...maybe a 15 - 20 minute visit.

If anyone would like a Memory map (mmo) file or gpx file of the route.
Please pm me.
Here is a link for the route on Bike Hike

We look forward to seeing you.
Ian

What Should I Take With Me on a Ride?

Always
Water
Money
Inner tubes (2 are recommended)
Tools to remove your wheel and tyre
Pump
Lights
Lock
Puncture repair kit

Consider
Waterproofs
Helmet (especially for mountain bike rides)
An extra clothing layer
Eye protection (sun glasses)
Sun screen
Snacks (flapjacks, bananas etc)
Maps
Camera
Mobile phone
First aid kit
Gear cable
Brake cable

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Might well be up for this one. Would probably involve a trip to the in-laws as well as it's a very early start - in other words, might stay overnight in Tonbridge the night before. Could perhaps get the train from Tonbridge to Charing... and cycle back?

139NI

Ian

i'll try persuade Jo to come on it but she has an ankle problem hence she was slower on the southend ride yesterday - how did you do on the way back - did you enjoy your first night ride?????

Big W

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
A top ride, if somewhat hillier than expected.

Plus my route back to Tonbridge took us over all the same hills...

The fun of cycling down off the North Downs to Yalding at very-fast-mph was a laugh. A couple of annoying motorists, but one expects that from time to time.

A quietish ride for me, as I'd lost my voice. I felt tired when I got to Tonbridge, too, after 73 miles. Still a lazy lie in this morning, plus some chocolate, has done much to refresh me.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Helles,
Here is my gpx track from the day..notice the return route we took from Charing.. on the original route, then off, then back on again

4022129521_3f6ddcffa4_b.jpg

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Yes, mine looks like that although I stopped rather sooner than Orpington.

In fact, you took a bit of a detour to Tonbridge; presumably you could have carried on along the ridge most of the way home?

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Looks that way doesn't it? But hey... good cycling company and all that.. just very peeved I deleted the bleedin' pics.

Auntie Helen said:
Yes, mine looks like that although I stopped rather sooner than Orpington.

In fact, you took a bit of a detour to Tonbridge; presumably you could have carried on along the ridge most of the way home?

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just looked at the route myself and Ilovebikes did previously.. that time we skirted the south side of Maidstone and followed the ridge through Malling & Wrotham

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Well we skirted the south side of Maidstone too of course (Coxheath...)

I did enjoy that descent into Yalding :biggrin: although not the stupid lorry on that narrow bit of road who said unpleasant things to me.

Top Bottom