Bromley Cyclists - Romney Marshes To Charing Via Isle Of Oxney & Weald Of Kent - Sunday 12th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Here we go again with another Bromley Cyclists ride. :bicycle:

Although an LCC and Bromley Cyclists event, You do not need to be a member to take part. Tourers, Roadies, Hybrids, experienced riders and those not so, . . we wait for all... Just turn up and go . . .
All are welcome.

Day: Sunday 12th April 2009
Contact Ride Leader: Andrew Fergar
Email : kayacan@aol.com
Mobile : 07717 693 701 (no text's please)

Meeting Points
London Bridge: Meet Trevor by the ticket office at 08:15 for the direct service to Westernhanger - departing at 08:38 - ETA 10:07

Bromley South Station Meet Andrew on the Forecourt at 08:00 for the 08:17 to Orpington - where we will catch the same train as the London Bridge contingent is already on.

Orpington Station Meet Ian on Platform 3 at 8.40 for the 8:56 service to Westenhanger

The Ride
Todays ride will be 47 miles in length ...but only 1589 ft of ascent/decent ... 22 miles of which will be on the flat - or nearly so ...as we will be traversing the Romney Marsh ...stopping in at Dymchurch. (We like to see the sea :biggrin:) ..then we will climb up the slope of the Isle Of Oxney ..which towers 200 ft above the marshlands ..and was a real island not so long ago..then down again to cross the Kent & East Sussex Steam Railway (we like to see Steam Trains :biggrin:) ..before ascending to Rolvendon ..then it's onward past Biddenden and through the heart of historic Smarden ...progressing then to much haunted Pluckley ..then shortly after to Journey's end in Charing where you can catch the train home.

or if you feel like a few more leg stretches there will probably be an optional extra bit of mileage - involving climbing Charing Hill then riding along the ridge the lies above the Pilgrim's way ..before swooping down into Bearsted for the train home

:sad: & :cheers: will possibly be at the 30 mile point in Rolvendon

Buy return tickets to Westernhanger - ride finishes at Charing or Bearsted - you can catch a train to Ashford (one stop) for trains to London Bridge . From Charing trains run direct back to Bromley South.

If anyone would like a Memory map (mmo) file or gpx file of the route.
Please pm me.
We look forward to seeing you.
Ian

What Should I Take With Me on a Ride?

Always
Water
Money
Inner tubes (2 are recommended)
Tools to remove your wheel and tyre
Pump
Lights
Lock
Puncture repair kit

Consider
Waterproofs
Helmet (especially for mountain bike rides)
An extra clothing layer
Eye protection (sun glasses)
Sun screen
Snacks (flapjacks, bananas etc)
Maps
Camera
Mobile phone
First aid kit
Gear cable
Brake cable

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Easter day :smile:

I'll be in Kent, but doing the family thing, rather than pedalling on a nice flat route...

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Damn it!!! had a spell off the bike and from here through March as and early ish april the family had a bit of a tragedy so missed this and its right on my doorstep! will definately make your next venture into southern kent.

Tynan

Veteran
how did this go? strange lack of interest, I might have done this if I coulda got the time

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Was a very nice ride mate, about 72 miles for myself and a few others.
here's a report from one of the riders

Around 9 of us – Captain Andrew, Ian, Jack, Jo, Katie, Linda, Mob, Steve and Trevor got ourselves onto the train heading towards Westernhanger, on the very edge of the Romney marshes. After a spectacular descent into Lympne we hit the flat for the next 24 miles. A few miles in we stopped at Dymchurch to look at the seaside before heading west towards the quiet and unhurried villages of St Mary in the marsh, Ivychurch (where Captain Andrew called the pub to say that we would be there a bit later), Snargate (where Jo surprised an errant sheep who decided to run into someone’s house) and Appledore, where apparently it is a romantic place to propose to someone, or so I have been told.

Lunch was at a quaint old pub at Stone in Oxney, where a bbq was in full swing and we gorged on lamb, scallops and ribs. This consuming of calories was advised as the second part of the ride contained hills.

The first few miles were fairly undulating, but it was really after Rolvenden that the hills began as we headed north (North Kent has very bumpy bits). This continued until we hit my all time favourite village in Kent, Smarden, and then it was only a few miles hence to Pluckley Station where we said goodbye to Mob and Linda (it was great to meet you guys) and thence towards Charing, where we also bid adieu to Steve (good luck with the cycling).

After Charing, some of us decided to add some extra mileage and headed towards the pilgrims way and Bearsted. My brake cable started to misbehave, which Ian gamely tried to fix. After about 6 miles we were approaching Bearsted, but not before saying goodbye to Captain Andrew and Trevor who were heading to the fantastic Black Horse for some food.

Top Bottom