Bromley Heath Viaduct Contraflow - "Deathtrap"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mgarl10024

Über Member
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bromley-heath-viaduct-labelled-death-237090.amp

Interesting story, if a little sad.

As background, the Bromley Heath viaduct is made up of two almost parallel bridges, and one has been shut down for work for 33wks with the other being set up as a contraflow. (see http://www.southglos.gov.uk/transpo...adworks/bhviaduct/what-we-are-doing-and-when/).

For as long as I can remember, it has been well used by bikes and pedestrians who have in both directions shared a ~1m track next to a carriage way where lorries are doing 50mph. This has been widely seen as a 'deathtrap'. Part of this 33wk work is to really enhance the cycling / pedestrian facilities and this should improve things greatly.

While the works are ongoing, SGC has set up a contraflow path for the pedestrians and cyclists which seems about the same width as the old path, and is away from the traffic - so if anything, appears safer. However, SGC have felt the need to install "cyclist dismount" signs, and it seems to be these which are causing a lot of concern - including the link at the top.

I don't mean this to be a political post. I'm just more sad that in 'just' 33wks we'll get better facilities, and in the meantime we seem incapable of rubbing along with a situation which isn't ideal for anyone. Surely, the dismount signs are not needed, and as a cyclist you cycle along that path, slowing or stopping should you encounter a pedestrian? Same as most of us have been doing for the last 20+ years?

Seems unnecessary to run to the press and turn pedestrians and cyclists against one another.

Just interested in other thoughts.

(Posting in "commuting" as a popular commuting route)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes, but it's the Bristol Pest, which hates cycling almost as much as the Cambridge News.

I agree that the cyclists dismount signs are unnecessary. They're also explicitly discouraged in the legally-required Code of Practice on Safety at Street Works, which says it should only be used if the carriageway is closed and only a footway remains. I agree that cycles ridden responsibly take up less space, are out of the way sooner and are less likely to clonk other users with the far end of pedals or bars.

Lonestar

Veteran
[QUOTE 4896080, member: 45"]They're just information signs rather than giving an order, aren't they?[/QUOTE]

"Cyclists dismount" seems like an order to me.Although I guess a blue plate is not such an order as a red plate if you know what I mean.

mjr

Why have the council not make cycling provision, as required by the Safety at Street Works and Roadworks mandatory guidance?
Councils don't make provision because most cyclists only whine on forums instead of writing to their councillors, asking public questions at council meetings and other things more likely to help. There also seems to be almost no chance of the Department for Transport making errant highway authorities obey the law - Cameron called this "localism" but I prefer to call it by the proper name of negligence ;)

mjr

It also doesn't matter whether or not they are an order. If non-cyclists read them as an order, and see cyclists disobeying it, they will draw the obvious conclusion.
I like the stickers that turn "CYCLISTS DISMOUNT" to "CYCLISTS DO COUNT" but I don't know of a current seller of them or template for printing them. Or just putting a bag over the illegal sign. Both are technically criminal damage, though, but I don't know how bad the penalty would be for trivially reversible damage - the vandals who keep moving and removing cycle route signs seem far worse and I've not heard of them being punished either.

Drago

Legendary Member
They're unlawful because the statutory guidance that governs how roadworks are conducted prohibits them, regardless of whether they're square or circular.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

They're unlawful because the statutory guidance that governs how roadworks are conducted prohibits them, regardless of whether they're square or circular.
I think it's not quite as strong as prohibits, but nowhere does it say they can be used instead of the correct signs. It says things like this:

"You must ensure suitable provisions are made for the safety of cyclists passing or crossing the works. Particular care is needed where cycle lanes or cycle tracks are affected by street works or road works because these routes may be especially popular with cyclists.

Cyclists might have to use other parts of the carriageway, a temporary cycle track, or an alternative route. You should consider whether access on the carriageway can be preserved for cyclists, even if it needs to be closed to motor vehicles. See page 70. Where the carriageway is closed but the footway remains open, a ‘Cyclists dismount and use footway’ white-on-red temporary sign can be used."

Page 70: "In certain cases the location or nature of the works being undertaken will make it impossible to achieve a safe working area and maintain traffic or pedestrian flows around the works. In these cases a carriageway, footway or footpath closure will be required. This option can only be considered if there is a suitable diversion route for the affected traffic or pedestrians, and under no circumstances should pedestrian access be denied to any property or premises."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/safety-at-street-works-and-road-works

Tin Pot

Guru
How dare people choose not to dismount? Killing is too good for 'em! I suggest amputating the hands and pouring itching powder down their backs.

Spartak