bromptom upside down?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris folder

Hi:smile: everyone when you turn your bromptom upside down do your back wheel sit perfect in between the forks? My m6l back wheel sits more to one side quite a difference think I might have found why im hearing a prop plane sound from the gears then if your wheel sit in line with forks? It looks like you cant adjust the angle like most bike the wheel is fixed

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
I only have one cog on the back wheel but mine doesn't sit evenly either, However, the center of the rear brake is above the center of the tire. I think it is just another Brompton adaptation to the fold. As others have said you might want to check the shifter chain adjustment. you screw the chain pin all the way and turn back a 1/2 turn or so so the chain bend is in line with cable. Put it in third, when the cable is slackest, and then shift to 2nd.The cylindrical part of the screw shaft should be just appearing where it can be seen. Sturmey A has these instructions. Every time I pull the rear wheel I do the screw in and back 1/2 turn thing and the adjust the chain tension as above. I also have been running it with about a cc of synthetic motor which seeps out quite a bit. I got a vet syringe and flip the bike on its side and inject the oil into the axle where the chain pin goes. Messy in the car due to the dribble but it shifts and runs very nicely.The tiny quantities of oil are cheap. and SA mechanics are far and few between here in Wyoming. If I do get it serviced i can go back to a grease lube scenario but for now oil is best for me. With the chain adjusted and the hub properly lubed it is fairly quiet. When it gets a little noisier I put in another few drops. tough to do without the syringe, though.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I only have one cog on the back wheel but mine doesn't sit evenly either, However, the center of the rear brake is above the center of the tire. I think it is just another Brompton adaptation to the fold. As others have said you might want to check the shifter chain adjustment. you screw the chain pin all the way and turn back a 1/2 turn or so so the chain bend is in line with cable. Put it in third, when the cable is slackest, and then shift to 2nd.The cylindrical part of the screw shaft should be just appearing where it can be seen. Sturmey A has these instructions. Every time I pull the rear wheel I do the screw in and back 1/2 turn thing and the adjust the chain tension as above. I also have been running it with about a cc of synthetic motor which seeps out quite a bit. I got a vet syringe and flip the bike on its side and inject the oil into the axle where the chain pin goes. Messy in the car due to the dribble but it shifts and runs very nicely.The tiny quantities of oil are cheap. and SA mechanics are far and few between here in Wyoming. If I do get it serviced i can go back to a grease lube scenario but for now oil is best for me. With the chain adjusted and the hub properly lubed it is fairly quiet. When it gets a little noisier I put in another few drops. tough to do without the syringe, though.
The old SA hubs had an oil filler cap on the shell for just that purpose, progress eh. ^_^

They still dripped oil though. :whistle:

OP
OP
C

chris folder

Hi 12boy :smile:I spotted that earlier to my chain shifter is rubbing the chain wheel as it gos around I will spend some time trying to get adjustment right Monday. I have put my gears all over the place tonight trying to set it its hard you dont get much room each side of the pusher I was in 1st set it ok then put in 2nd rubbing again so set 2nd ok put back in 1st rubbing again. What a do I will have a go Monday

Top Bottom