Brompton 2018 C caliper Brake

Discussion in 'Folding Bikes' started by bikegang, 2 Oct 2017.

Tags:
  1. bikegang

bikegang Mod before ride, my bike my style...

Looks lighter .. but the brake pad . Some like marathon racer tyers

22050170_1969442636669145_7964850731486374547_n.jpg
    22089848_1969442670002475_5826323291174924542_n.jpg
    22221749_1969442650002477_2704269994613236333_n.jpg

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Took delivery of my new Brompton yesterday, that brake appears to be on it??! Bit early or is it 2018??

3. chriscross1966

chriscross1966 Senior Member

The next year bikes tend to start shipping in October

4. OP
    OP
    bikegang

bikegang Mod before ride, my bike my style...

Rear and front the same now... one benefit of this upgrade.

5. chriscross1966

chriscross1966 Senior Member

So the new brakes use identical length mounting shafts?.... Does the front fit the older forks?

bikegang likes this.
  6. mitchibob

mitchibob Active Member

I recently ordered a 2017 M6E, but during the build time, got a 2018. They're slightly more expensive apparently, but had paid up front, so cost me the same. Also, didn't come with the standard tyres, but Marathons instead, which saved me a job and a few quid (although I might switch them to Kojacks like my 2016 M2L as haven't had a puncture since buying a CO2 inflator).

As well as the new brakes, the pedals look improved (although, I switched them straight off for SPDs). Also, I'm not sure if this was introduced on the 2017 model already, but the grips are no longer glued on, and can be quickly and easily removed by undoing them, in my case, for some Ergon GP3s. Seat-rails also are black now. I'm not keen on the bell mind you. It's conveniently located, but makes a pathetic 'ting' that would barely scare the birds away if used as a cat bell.

Not sure if this is just my one, or that my slightly bent M2L was just getting bad, but the frame hinge on this new one seems to be the easiest I've used.

The new brake fittings also mean that pre-2018 front mudguards do not fit (although you can ream the hole a bit with kitchen scissors to make them fit)

Last edited: 3 Dec 2017
    bikegang likes this.
  7. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I wonder if the brake lever would be affected if the daft little bell now fitted on the right hand side was removed? It gets in the way of my hand on the handlebars...

8. ryanme

ryanme Member

No! well yes.... the rear hole on the fork needs drilling out to 8mm, ONLY the rear! and you need a new mudguard blade, or carefully drill that out too!

The new brakes use a 5mm allen key for cable retention, and fitting the front brake.

The pads have been updated, they are slightly more curved to suit the rim better and use a carbon fibre reinforcement. - they are not insert replacement though a slightly downside for some.

But they do look smarter, and they are only £30 each - old silver was £30 and black £40 each.

9. ryanme

ryanme Member

You can just unscrew it...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice