Brompton 6 gear vs 3 gear on hills - London people

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

musa

Über Member
. I use the two lowest gears for going up the hill to Crystal Palace (second highest point in South London, where I live), and the sixth gear, the 99 inch, very rarely...normally while zooming down the hill from CP.

whats the first? what hill in CP? the whole place is on a hill as it is

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
The gear ratios are shown in much more detail on page 9 of the online brochure: http://www.brompton.co.uk/brochure/
This shows the "old money" inch equivalents of the metric ratios
e.g. the standard 6 speed corresponds to 33.1, 40.7, 51.9, 63.8, 81.3 and 100",
while the standard 3 speed corresponds to 47.9, 63.8 and 84.9"

Hope this helps - I certainly find it easier to understand.

The Eco Worrier

Can I ask, why a Brommie?

What about a Tern X30H or a Dahon X27H?

Good call on this. When I lived in Holloway, I went for a Dahon Vitesse ( moved on a bit since then - Tern looks good!) You get a good balance of high to low gears and is half the price. Changed to a brompton for train commute when I moved out of town -lots of folding.

I miss that commute route - have one in the Albion for me!

Jezston

Über Member
The gear ratios are shown in much more detail on page 9 of the online brochure: http://www.brompton.co.uk/brochure/
This shows the "old money" inch equivalents of the metric ratios
e.g. the standard 6 speed corresponds to 33.1, 40.7, 51.9, 63.8, 81.3 and 100",
while the standard 3 speed corresponds to 47.9, 63.8 and 84.9"

Hope this helps - I certainly find it easier to understand.

Why on earth would you want to be running 100" on a Brompton?

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Must confess I don't usually need 6th gear, but I was in it for quite a few miles at a stretch when I rode from Newark to Nottingham back in the relative heatwave of March. For the last few miles I had a lycra-clad roadie tailing me at 20mph+ and refusing to take his turn on the front. It's occasionally useful, and very exhilarating on a ride like that. Shod with tyres lighter than the Schwalbe Marathons which I specified because I'm terrified of having to mend a p******* on a Brommie, I'd certainly use 6th more often. (Lighter tyres would also lower the gearing very slightly :smile: ).

GFamily

Über Member
Thanks all.

To be honest, I will have to buy something used as I can't afford new. I'm still paying off the one that was stolen. I've asked a few of the sellers to show receipts (surprisingly they did) and will also see if I can get the number under the seat on any I am seriously bidding on.

It sounds to me like either a 3 or a 6 should be ok really.

Claudia

I'd say go with the 6 speed; but I would also suggest that if you'e a seasoned cyclist you may be better off NOT getting the BWR (Brompton Wide Range) hub.

I have the standard 6 speed hub and my wife has the BWR 6 speed. When I'm cycling I always aim to keep a steady cadence, and the smaller steps between gears on my bike makes this much easier than when I'm using my wife's.

I agree that the overall range is much wider on the BWR, but I find I hardly ever need to use the extreme (1st and 6th) gears on that bike.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I have ridden both 6 speed versions, and I'm not keen on the BWR. The bottom gear is like pedalling through treacle, and the top is mad high. I can only really use it at speeds above 35mph (I'm quite 'spinny') so it doesn't get used often.
If someone offered me a straight swap from BWR to standard AW, I'd probably take it.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I've owned both and would say there's not a massive difference in London riding, but 6th does occasionally come in useful.

Serx

Hey everyone - I'm new to the forum and have got drawn into this conversation! I bought a 3 speed from an RBF (raving Brompton fan) following the risk of a driving ban :sad: And I'm loving it. This thread has convinced me about how well I've done with it. I live in a rural community 5 miles from the station.
Here are my thoughts:
1. If a hill is too steep, flick up the folding pedal and walk for a 100yds or so, and enjoy the view. There is no failure in getting off and walking, is there? A bike is x5 faster than walking, not x5 slower than the BMW 1200gs motorbike that has caused me the hassle with the Law. Walking is good.
2. Don't bother going too fast and you won't need all the fancy gearing.
3. If it is really tough, get a taxi (or whatever!)
4. Adjusting my attitude to time is going to be cheaper than the fine I'm going to have to pay.
5. Focussing on fractions of increments and other detail is more expensive than contentment with what I've got.
6. I'm going 'wild' camping on my Brompton at the first opportunity.

The RBF is my nephew. Longtime Bromptoner.

Top Bottom