Brompton Adapted for Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I'm seriously thinking of bring my Brommie over to the village i have a house in Spain but it is seriously hilly around here, so what adjustments will I be able to make or get my LBS to do to make it a bit easier to get up the hills. Also what would i expect to pay for the adjustments.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Theoretically you just need a crank with less teeth so about £80 max.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm sure Brompton enthusiasts will give you a run down on how to get ultra low gears but its basically a urban commuter not a hill climber. Unless you have an alternative role for it in its intended use you might be better off selling it and buying something that would cope properly with the hills.

Last edited:

rualexander

Legendary Member
Stick a cheap Spa triple chainset on it http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p2000/SPA-CYCLES-XD-2-Touring-Triple-Chainset
stop when you get to a hilly section and move the chain to the inner ring by hand. You'll probably only be able to use the middle and inner rings as there isn't enough scope in the chain/tensioner to use all three rings. Outer ring can act as a chainguard.
Depending on which hub you have on your Brompton that should give a decent range for very little outlay and you can swap it back easy enough when you take it back home.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
There are lots of options, from a smaller chainring all the way through to Rohloff gears. I currently have the SA-8 hub, which I can highly recommend, but decided to treat myself to a Rohloff for the replacement currently being built for me by Kinetics.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I threw a cheap compact onto mine.
Going onto the 34T ring instead of the 50T means essentially you lose the top two gears and gain an extra two at the lower end.
It's now an M12R :becool:
This is what I did with mine.
50/34 stronglight compact fitted to my S6L gave me nough bottom end gearing to haul a touring load over the hills of Harris.
No other mods required.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
This is what I did with mine.
50/34 stronglight compact fitted to my S6L gave me nough bottom end gearing to haul a touring load over the hills of Harris.
No other mods required.

Thanks FF

Is this an easy modification to make bearing in mind I don't do much mechanics or best with my lbs?

mitchibob

Über Member
If you're not commuting with it, and don't mind the slight compromise of a pedal sticking out when folded, decent pedals make ascents a bit easier too. And if you still want to be able to ride with sandals, you can actually get sandals with SPD cleats, or just use those where one side is for the cleat and the other for any old shoe.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Can you remove a crank arm and a bottom bracket? If so easy. If not easy for a bike shop.
@The Jogger as above. With the tools and know-how it's a 10 minute job.

I too use single sided SPD pedals which help on the hills.
I also find that when folding the bike the chain needs to be on the 50T ring as it falls off the 34.
@TheDoctor is this your experience too?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I also find that when folding the bike the chain needs to be on the 50T ring as it falls off the 34.
@TheDoctor is this your experience too?

I've got a 44/34 on there at the minute. The tensioner will just about manage things if the chain is on the 34, but it's better on the 44.
TBH, it's perfectly fine with just a 44T chainring, but I didn't have any single chainring bolts!

Top Bottom