Brompton Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rualexander

Legendary Member
For some reason I thought they had a 20" wheel option, thanks for saving me a lot of searching...

Not from Brompton themselves, but there are a couple of third party suppliers who make forks and rear triangles for 18" and 20" wheels.
https://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/folding-bikes/brompton/brompton-rear-triangle/

https://www.eerdermetaal.nl/brompton_winkelcollectie.html

Kinetics rear triangle and forks also available from St John Street Cycles

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brompto...or-brompton-1820-stainless-steel-satin-black/

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brompto...ake-fork-for-brompton-1820-steel-satin-black/

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I hadn't looked closely at he Terns, but I must admit the Tern BYB Looks very good, and I'm tempted by the "normal" components which makes them in theory easier to swap.

The Bombadier double deck trains are being replaced by Desiro HC trains; very strange things: centre coaches are double deck but the driving carriages aren't, but they and most other new trains have lots of bike capacity, so I'm not too badly off for space. More important is the need for the bike to be small and unobtrusive in "peak" traffic so I don't get charged for a bike ticket.

Just a couple of words of caution on the Tern front.

Bikes like the BYB may have normal derailleur, but they hang very close to the ground due to the small wheels and as such are subject to all kinds of muck getting thrown at them. Normal gear drivetrains on folders will need a lot of love to keep them in fine fettle and working order. My personal preference is for either a single speed like mine, or an internal geared hub. Tern have bikes with either 3 or 7 speed internal hubs.

One potential major issue with Tern is the weight limit on the frame. Without checking, I think it's 100kg. I had an ex colleague who was a tall and stocky built chap, with winter clothes and work bag he was close to a 100kg. In three years, he had three hinge joint failures, I've also heard anecdotally of a number of others as well. I'm not so big myself, so come in a fair few kilos under the limit and as such have had no problems at all over the last five years.

On a slight side note, like you, I have no need for a smaller fold on my regular train, it's purely to meet the requirement for a free ticket. However, sometimes the guards have a purge and get really pedantic, one lady received a fine for unfolding her bike as we were slowing down to come into town. He said being as it was unfolded it was now a regular bike and she needed a regular bike ticket. I really couldn't believe the guard and had to really bite my tongue before I also got my self into trouble.

Just a couple of words of caution on the Tern front.

Bikes like the BYB may have normal derailleur, but they hang very close to the ground due to the small wheels and as such are subject to all kinds of muck getting thrown at them. Normal gear drivetrains on folders will need a lot of love to keep them in fine fettle and working order. My personal preference is for either a single speed like mine, or an internal geared hub. Tern have bikes with either 3 or 7 speed internal hubs.

One potential major issue with Tern is the weight limit on the frame. Without checking, I think it's 100kg. I had an ex colleague who was a tall and stocky built chap, with winter clothes and work bag he was close to a 100kg. In three years, he had three hinge joint failures, I've also heard anecdotally of a number of others as well. I'm not so big myself, so come in a fair few kilos under the limit and as such have had no problems at all over the last five years.

On a slight side note, like you, I have no need for a smaller fold on my regular train, it's purely to meet the requirement for a free ticket. However, sometimes the guards have a purge and get really pedantic, one lady received a fine for unfolding her bike as we were slowing down to come into town. He said being as it was unfolded it was now a regular bike and she needed a regular bike ticket. I really couldn't believe the guard and had to really bite my tongue before I also got my self into trouble.

Fair comment on all points: I did wonder about the durability on the Tern fold.

I'm currently still tending towards the Brompton for the reason you describe: I can imagine some guards getting very silly about the question of if it is a bike or not and I'll need a fast fold and a compact bike. The front luggage rack on the Brompton looks like it would be ideal long term too.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Fair comment on all points: I did wonder about the durability on the Tern fold.

I'm currently still tending towards the Brompton for the reason you describe: I can imagine some guards getting very silly about the question of if it is a bike or not and I'll need a fast fold and a compact bike. The front luggage rack on the Brompton looks like it would be ideal long term too.

Andy, get a Brompton and practice folding / unfolding it. Once you’ve done it a few times and got the knack it’s second nature. I can unfold mine in about 12 seconds without rushing and I believe the world record is something like 4.9 seconds😮
Keep practicing, then whenever the opportunity arises go to the pub on your Brommie and casually fold it, slowly. Then have wagers with your colleagues, and any interested strangers who want to have a go at folding it, slowest gets the beers in.
You could become the Brompton equivalent of “Fast Eddie” played by Paul Newman in The Hustler 😁

12boy

Guru
I missed the part about your new job in my excitement about your joining The Cult of Brompton. That is great news!
For about 20 years I lived about 3 miles from work, but found ways to make my commute work out to about 20 round trip. Although the other managers I knew kvetched about job stress a lot, as did my staff, I never felt it a problem on an ongoing basis although there were short times it was. I attribute the lack of stress to my 20 miles a day which gave me a buffer between home and work and vice versa. It was easier to be relaxed with a healthy dose of endorphins twice a day.

ExBromptonMan

The other thing to bear in mind (for the future) is the resale value of Bromptons. Initially I bought an H6R Brompton but unfortunately the electric version was being introduced so as I was due a knee replacement and due to a previous knee op I was told the success rate was poor so I ordered one of the first electric Bromptons and sold my H6R... after two years I only lost £100!
My first electric Brompton was a disaster and rejected it getting a full refund. After six months I was assured Brompton had sorted things out and ordered another..... it was better but not good enough. I sold it to a guy in London who seemed to be buying any Bromptons which came up for sale... I lost £400 and he put it on eBay for more than a new one and it seemed to sell after two days!
I should have kept my original “manual” one but the electric one seemed a good idea at the time.
I have a new H6R on order so I need to try to change my “Ex Brompton Man” name on this forum!
I’m coming up 70 and need the other knee replacing and if the surgery is as good as the first one I’ll get a number of years Bromptoning ... if not I’ll virtually get my money back when I sell it.

Top Bottom