Brompton Advise £1000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Ben Lovejoy said:
SPDs aren't really what Bromptoning is all about. Hop on, hop off, fold, become a pedestrian.

...... you're a 'bent man aren't you Ben? What you doing with a Brompton?

I prefer to spend my time riding it in preference to walking with it :evil: ....

Crankarm

Guru
bromptonfb said:
spd's pffftttt!!!! hub dynamo rubbish?...pffft!!! brompton kevlar tyres are just as bad to get on / off as m+, m+ are way way better and just as easy to fit. new frame, i have had over 20kgs of books on it and it didn't even wobble over potholes. reduced gearing makes more sense than fitting none standard sprockets which mess with the gearing spaces does not. seat mounted rack?....extra pressure on a long seat pin with a plastic bush...really?

A Brommie in the hands is worth two in the bush :evil:.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Crankarm said:
...... you're a 'bent man aren't you Ben? What you doing with a Brompton?....
Different tools for different jobs.

When I'm heading out for a nice 40-50 mile ride in the country, with a pub or two along the way, I take the trike. When I'm crossing London with a meeting or two along the way, I take the Brompton.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Go 6 speed.
If I could offer one piece of advice about Bromptons, 6 speeds would be it.
[/Baz Lurman]
Rack - I use mine a lot. Whether it's going shopping, a weekend's worth of luggage, or a bike frame, it goes on nicely.
Not sure I'd pay for dynamo lights. My first Brommie had them, but the replacement doesn't and I don't miss them.
M-type bars are pretty good IMHO.
I dealt with the wheel-hitting-ankle thing by taking the little wheels off and putting them back the other way round. The bike isn't quite as stable when parked, but stable enough.
So, I'd go for an M6R meself, or an M6 if you don't want a rack.
But trust me on the 6 speed...

I'd take the 2009 M6R without the dynamo! Bottle dynamo is worthless; mine kept cutting in when it shouldn't, cutting out when I needed it, and then it finally chewed its own little wheel thingy. All in very few months of not so regular use actually. Hate to think what would have happened if I'd commuted through winter with the thing.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
SavageHoutkop said:
I'd take the 2009 M6R without the dynamo! Bottle dynamo is worthless; mine kept cutting in when it shouldn't, cutting out when I needed it, and then it finally chewed its own little wheel thingy. All in very few months of not so regular use actually. Hate to think what would have happened if I'd commuted through winter with the thing.

his option is a HUB dynamo. i agree about the crappy bottle dynamo.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Ben Lovejoy said:
SPDs aren't really what Bromptoning is all about. Hop on, hop off, fold, become a pedestrian.

+1. if you don't like the standard pedals you can fit big fat platforms and gain a few inches on the folded width. mine has mtb pedals for my size 13 feet but still fits in my wife's tiny micra's boot

Jugular

Exactly the same for me bromptonfb. I fitted mtb pedals after the folding ones got crushed. I'd have rather sold them on eBay for near the extortionate price Brompton charge.

The rack is in the balance I think, for some it's worth it others can't understand that point of view.

I can't understand how people ride with the original triangular wheels unless they ride funny, putting far too much pressure on their knees, or by cycling with their legs wide apart and feet on the edge of the pedal... again damaging their knees. I suppose they could have no nerves in their adamantium ankles...

Dynamo: How much night riding are you expecting to do? If regular I think they're a must. If very occassional or not at all, obviously you don't need it.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Jugular said:
I can't understand how people ride with the original triangular wheels
:laugh:

Crankarm

Guru
Jugular said:
Exactly the same for me bromptonfb. I fitted mtb pedals after the folding ones got crushed. I'd have rather sold them on eBay for near the extortionate price Brompton charge.

The rack is in the balance I think, for some it's worth it others can't understand that point of view.

I can't understand how people ride with the original triangular wheels unless they ride funny, putting far too much pressure on their knees, or by cycling with their legs wide apart and feet on the edge of the pedal... again damaging their knees. I suppose they could have no nerves in their adamantium ankles...

Dynamo: How much night riding are you expecting to do? If regular I think they're a must. If very occassional or not at all, obviously you don't need it.

Noooo! Don't go there. Dynamos - bottle or hub. Just buy after market SMART lights. They'll last a lot longer, be a lot lighter and brighter and cheaper.

Crankarm

Guru
Ben Lovejoy said:

And what do you think happens with SPDs :hungry:?

Plus your foot is a lot more secure on the pedal even if the cleat is set loose or if you prefer tight ......... you can wind them in.

:biggrin:

Top Bottom