Brompton arrives!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I took mine on the Eurostar once. The lady at the check-in desk asked me to fold it before I took it through, so I did. She was impressed and asked me to do it again, so I did.

Then a security bloke wandered over and asked for another repeat. He then called his mate over...

And you'd think they'd have seen a few Brommies at Waterloo.

Arch

Married to Night Train
You should have started charging them for the show!

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
I'd love a Brompton. I really would.:laugh:

I wanted one back in March when fellow commuter-owners told me how wonderful they were.
So I hired one for a couple of days, and was smitten by its sheer fun, vivacity and rideability.

The day after my hire completed I ordered a Brompton.

They told me there was an eight week wait.

That was back in April.

I'm still waiting.

They tell me this afternoon I still have 'a few weeks'.

I'd love a Brompton. I really would.:biggrin:

Is anyone else in here waiting for a Brompton?

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Interesting, Doctor… …my sympathies.
Have you paid for all or part of replacement?

Sorry to recap on this at length -
Since the eight week quoted lead time was up, I have had very little news of when this bike will actually turn up other than some very vague verbal excuses from the dealer. I'm now at three months, and some quite worrying things have happened. I should say have not happened.

About three personal visits to the dealer, and numerous subsequent emails to them and, latterly Brompton themselves (including their MD) themselves have produced zero response. When I say zero response I mean exactly that - from my point of view, it's almost as if they are not telling me something.

What goes through my head?
Is one or other party about to go bust?
Has the dealer failed in some way to pay the manufacturer, or even placed the order and are covering their tracks?

Obviously I can't force people to respond to emails, but having paid for half of the order, I feel I should have some ownership of the situation.
This is such a nice product, I really don't want to lose out by asking for a refund and buying an alternative, or even if it transpires the dealer is at fault placing the same order with a competitor and having another long wait.

Sorry to ramble, I just wondered whether anyone had any sage advice they could offer me?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
got mine yesterday from harry hall's in manchester. they have loads in stock of different specs too. i did 20 miles yesterday and loved it. i bought as i will need it for uni, but tbh it was a pleasure to ride in normal clothes rather than cycling specific. planning on doing 40 miles tomorrow over hard castle crags. i got the m6 steel, no lights, no rack. bought the c bag, it's great. it has 2 pockets on the back handy for water bottles.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Uncle Phil said:
There are plenty on Ebay if you can't wait for a new one...

Indeed there are, but ensure you see the shop receipt - I bet a good proportion of them are hot, especially the London ones.

Unused ones seem to go for just below RRP on eBay, but I don't think the warranty is transferable to a subsequent owner, and you may well need it. The floor for a knackered one seems to be about £250 at the moment.

A few things to watch on a well-used one:

- The head tube is unreinforced and can stretch; the lower headset cup becomes a loose fit. Strong Loctite bearing-fit will keep it on the road. Brompton *may* be able to supply just the head tube, since it is attached to the main frame by a removable pin.

- the rear hinge will get sloppy. It can be replaced by a dealer using very expensive tools.

- handlebars are under enormous strain, especially the M-type, so budget for replacement

- check for frame cracks around the seat cluster, which is where they normally go.

Don't worry about scratches and (within reason) rust - one with a patina has more street cred and it's not exactly made from thin-wall 753.

Top Bottom