Brompton arrives!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Number14

Guru
Got mine today ;).

I'd like to thank Gordon Brown for paying 40% of the cost through the Cycle to Work scheme. He's still not getting my vote in the next election though :ohmy:

HelenD123

Guru
Ooh, that's a thought. Our cycle to work scheme opens again in November and I was thinking I should take advantage of it. But do I really have use for a Brompton...

redcogs

Guru
Flying_Monkey said:
Well... a day of surprises... we went to pick up my wife's Brompton and came away with two matching Bromptons! It turns out that the company sent two identical bikes by accident, and since the shop-owner knew he would be unlikely to sell the other one any time soon, he offered it to us at a big discount. So, despite the slightly creepy thing of having matching bikes, it was too good to miss - especially as we were buying the original one on the Cyclescheme anyway - and we bought both! We are very glad we did and in fact were left wondering why we hadn't thought of this a couple of years ago - we already have plans to take them on holiday...

My wife and I with our accidentally matching Bromptons... (yes, I know I need a haircut!)

i don't often stray into special interests, but i'm so pleased that i have done.. The Will Self article on Bromptons is a cracking read, then, as if i am not already delighted enough, there is a super photo of Mr and Mrs 'Monkey.

Mrs 'Monkey looks lovely and you both appear as a fine couple FM. i wouldn't worry unduly about the twin bikes if i were you - Mr and Mrs redcogs have matching kinetic wristwatches and wear them without any embarassment!

AND.. Lucky you to get the bikes at a knock down price!!

The old phrase 'money to money' springs to mind (not in a bitter way you understand 'Monkey).:rofl::smile::becool:

Mr Phoebus

I really do wish Bromptons were much, much more popular.
I can't recall a time I've been out on mine where someone
hasn't exclaimed: 'what a fantastic little bike' (usually as I'm folding/unfolding it)
I know then what's coming next... :wub:
All inquisitive like: 'Erm, how much do they cost?'

The cost is revealed.

Me: 'Would you like some help getting your jaw off the floor?' :biggrin:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I think that Bromptons make a lot of sense as a city bike; think of all the money that could be saved from travelling by bus, train or sitting in a car idling in traffic. Keep you fit and healthy also.

As a country bike, however, wouldn't there be a tendency for the low set Derailleur gears to pick up leaves/twigs/debris etc. and wouldn't the gears be more likely to get immersed in water ?

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
redcogs said:
i don't often stray into special interests, but i'm so pleased that i have done.. The Will Self article on Bromptons is a cracking read, then, as if i am not already delighted enough, there is a super photo of Mr and Mrs 'Monkey.

Mrs 'Monkey looks lovely and you both appear as a fine couple FM. i wouldn't worry unduly about the twin bikes if i were you - Mr and Mrs redcogs have matching kinetic wristwatches and wear them without any embarassment!

AND.. Lucky you to get the bikes at a knock down price!!

The old phrase 'money to money' springs to mind (not in a bitter way you understand 'Monkey).;):smile:;)

Thanks, 'cogs... my wife is lovely, yes! (and I am not in real life quite so arsey as 'FM' may sometimes come across here!)

I've actually taken to commuting on the Brompton occasionally in preference to my road bike - and like Mr Phoebus, I still love demonstrating the speed of the fold to people. Technically, Bromptons are just lovely objects.

Good on you lass get them started early that's the way to go

eubielicious

I got my Brompton just over a week ago... I realised today how unfit I am in terms of riding a bike, I am a runner but of course, cycling uses different muscles.

It's taken me a while to find a good position for the seat, but I think I've managed that now. Not sure about the standard seat, fortunately the nice man at Kinetics (Ben) is sending me a Vitesse saddle...

Getting it on the bus is a joy, a few times I have got on a bus which wouldn't have taken a normal bike. Even had a chase through Inverness to catch a bus I'd narrowly missed (see bus at traffic lights, quick unfold, ride like mad, caught up with bus while people were getting on, quick fold and on!).

Oh yes, they may be cool in London, but that news hasn't reached the kids in Dingwall who think the bike is hilarious!

Matching Bromptons sounds like fun, maybe I should buy my wife one when I have the money!

Have fun all...

Euan

Mr Phoebus

eubielicious said:
Oh yes, they may be cool in London, but that news hasn't reached the kids in Dingwall who think the bike is hilarious!

Yep, I get a lot of that. More gorking than shouting out though.
Which is a good thing 'cuz I always respond to anything shouted at me.

Today on the train station platform two people not content with staring at the folded up Brommie for at least 10 seconds while walking towards it, they both did an impression of an owl as they passed by next to it.
I thought 'Yep, it's Linda Blair'.

Alves

eubielicious said:

same in Perth, great howls of derision when I cycle by a school on my way to work. "Hey mister, the rain's shrunk your bike" etc etc.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Alves said:
same in Perth, great howls of derision when I cycle by a school on my way to work. "Hey mister, the rain's shrunk your bike" etc etc.

I don't own one (I'd like to, but no money spare), but when I've had folding bikes on try out roadshows, I've found that kids (and older people) tend to laugh when you're on it, but are very impressed as soon as you fold it (especially the flip under action of the Brompton).

Top Bottom