Brompton bike build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Now I have used Brompton bike build to design my Brompton and have received the bike build number. What do I do with it and can I find out the cost of the bike before contacting a dealer?

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Does anyone know what I am talking about :0)

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have registered on the site and designed the bike I would like. Unfortunately, it did not tot up the price whilst I was designing it and so I have no idea of the cost.

Can someone give me the website link of a reputable Brompton dealer in the UK so i can contact them. Just dropping in is not an option as I live in Denmark. I have tried using the store finder but I would prefer it if someone can recommend a dealer.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've just tried a build and the site did tot up the price, although I agree it's a bit cranky.

Contacting a UK dealer may not assist because they are all but banned from shipping a bike in the UK, let alone abroad.

If they can't sell you a bike, they are unlikely to be of much help.

Brommyboy

Über Member
Look on the Brompton site for dealers. The Bike Build gives the prices and weights as you use it provided you are in the UK. Otherwise you would need to contact a local dealer to price the bike. Presumably they can access your choice from you build number.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
iI have seen that there is a Danish supplier and so I will contact them.

On the Brompton official site you can find plenty of official dealers in Germany, but when I look at their individual websites non of them seem to have the Brompton Logo displayed. On the official site it also states that they supply Bromptons to 41 different countries. Maybe brompton should be chasing up their suppiers abroad.

I could buy one on ebay but I want a 6 gear with a -12% reduction. I know Denmark is flattish but I like to ride in Majorca and Italy, which is not flat. I have also just been diagnosed with arthritis in my right knee.

The bike builder works and it comes up with the weight but the currency changes to Danish Kroner and I cannot change it to sterling. Maybe it only works in the UK, but that is a bit odd.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Lead time for a custom build for a UK dealer is currently about five weeks.

Might be a bit longer for one shipped abroad, but the UK time should help you assess the Danish dealer's offer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Having been following e bay for a while, it never mentions the reduction in the gears.

Is this unusual and is it actually marked anywhere on the bike? If it isnt how would you know if you bought a used bike?

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The Danish guy has not got back to me.

Could someone help me out by entering these specs into the Brompton bike build and tell me what the cost comes out as. I can then decide which route to follow, dealer or used bike.

Brompton bike

All racing green

Handlebar M type

6 gear with -12% reduction

Version R

Steel frame

Telescopic seat post

Brompton seat

Suspension. Standard

Tyres..Schwalbe Marathon

Lighting.. Shimano hub dynamo

Easy wheels.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Your Brompton choice is identical to mine, other than the colour (I went with the classic black).:cheers: Excellent choice (although it is a little heavy the rear carrier is worth its weight in beer, since I found out today it will carry a 4 pack of Beck's perfectly with the bungee cord fitting between them).

The dynamo is excellent if you need it, but if you don't then it is simply weight and drag (and expense obviously). I'm not sure it was a good idea for me because you cannot turn it off straight away and the railway people are very anti red lights, understandably, on the platform so I might need to wait until the capacitor discharges before I can go onto the platform [which is 3-5 minutes]. It may be that separate, lightweight lights would have been better and only fitted in winter; time will tell :smile:

Anyway, good luck :smile:

Top Bottom