Brompton Colour Configuration Help: Its all about the look of RED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

norbachev

Using guidance from some great Brompton information on this forum I recently purchased a used red and silver 2016 S6L Brompton which I love. You can see an image of approximately what it looks like below marked as Current Option A. As some parts have some cosmetic damage such as fenders, stem and handle bars and as I want to switch to the newer 2017 shifters, I want to make a few component purchases and can do so in either a matching red + silver or in all black. Of course the final look is hugely personal however taking a quick pole to see which one of the attached 4 red/silver/ black options you prefer. I wonder if the classic red/silver will hold out vs the look of black / red. Let me know. Thanks!

Current and OPTION A
Current OPTION A.png

OPTION B
Option B.png

OPTION C
Option C.png

OPTION D
Option D.png

Tenkaykev

Guru
Using guidance from some great Brompton information on this forum I recently purchased a used red and silver 2016 S6L Brompton which I love. You can see an image of approximately what it looks like below marked as Current Option A. As some parts have some cosmetic damage such as fenders, stem and handle bars and as I want to switch to the newer 2017 shifters, I want to make a few component purchases and can do so in either a matching red + silver or in all black. Of course the final look is hugely personal however taking a quick pole to see which one of the attached 4 red/silver/ black options you prefer. I wonder if the classic red/silver will hold out vs the look of black / red. Let me know. Thanks!

Current and OPTION A
View attachment 553259

OPTION B
View attachment 553260
OPTION C
View attachment 553261

OPTION D
View attachment 553262

Black and red does it for me. Here's mine 🙂
EDIT: I prefer option B

cplAXWmA3Q9SuMLFXA2hr7kGB3LBpcr.jpeg

Last edited:

simongt

Guru
As a fan of bright colours, I'd avoid too much black, but of course it's a very personal thing. Having said that, my commuter is a black GT Outpost, but I did buy it twenty two years ago and it was at a bargain price, so practicality outweighed colour choice at the time - ! ^_^

Kell

Veteran
I think the addition of the black parts modernises the look of the bike - especially on a 'classic' colour that's been around for a long time. It will make the bike feel much newer.

i.e. If you didn't know anything about Bromptons, that top picture could be a bike from 30 years ago. Not that you should give a flying feck what anyone else thinks.

Even though mine is one of the newer colours (Lime Green) whenever I've had the choice in replacement part I've gone for black.

Not sure I'd justify it just for the sake of it, but if I've needed to replace something then I've done it.

So mine currently has

Black bars - but this wasn't a deliberate choice, I always wanted to change the bars for low risers and the ones I had lying around were black.
Black Mudguards
Black Cranks - after I snapped the silver ones.
Black hinge clamps.

I would like a black seatpost, but as said above, there's nothing wrong with the one I have, so hard to justify the cost to replace for the sake of vanity.

On the flip side, I swapped out the black seat for a lime green one when they were available half-price.

Last edited:

mitchibob

Über Member
Red and Black is a great combination, although, if you needed to add a Dragon ...

Attachments

• IMG_20200220_120014947_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200220_120014947_HDR.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200218_122828140_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200218_122828140_HDR.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 18

mitchibob

Über Member
One thing, I'm not so keen on the black edition bikes, as you're buying a bike that someone else selected the colours for (although, if it's exactly the colour you want, then great, and you can pick it up straight away). But my main gripe is that they add a fiver to the price of a lot of replacement parts. That said, I did get the black mudguards separately without paying silly money, as frankly, they look better than the grey ones (and I couldn't find any red ones without paying silly money). Handlebars are Joseph Kousac ones that were cheaper than Brompton originals, and a little more versatile on the width side.

Out of interest, I'm wondering how black the seat-post manages to stay on a black edition?

I also worry that having a black chainring would decrease how much I cleaned the drivetrain.

Oh... probably Option C

Last edited:

shingwell

Classic silver/chrome for me (A)! But even that one has some black bits, so if you need to add a new bit that is black, it won't look out of place.

On a practical level, I do wonder if black-coated parts show up scratches more, based on no evidence whatsoever! :rolleyes:

Kell

Veteran
Out of interest, I'm wondering how black the seat-post manages to stay on a black edition?

That's the other thing I worried about with the Black seatpost.

When I was commuting it would be folded twice a day. If the seat post has a cover of paint or powdercoat, there's no way it's not getting scratched.

I would like to see some pics of pone that's been properly used over an extended period.

Last edited:
Top Bottom