Brompton configurations nightmare

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mandark

Warning, I might be a suffer of OCD!

Howdy Folks,

So after debating on various folders for a while (see my previous posts in the forum for historical background), I've finally decided that a Brompton will the the way to go. Hurray!

However, what seemed like an easy choice has rapidly went downhill in the mega confusion lane :angry:

Initially, I thought I'd go for a M type Ti frame based bike with 2-speed gears with mudguards (no rack, but ez wheels), but it all comes down to 10 kg, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a Ti (titanium) frame altogether. I mean it just saves me around 900 gm only?! So, is titanium really worth the money?

Also, I went for the 2-speed gears over the 3-speed because that saves another 630 gm - which is pretty big, but is that a wise trade off?
I'm not expecting to go on really hilly areas any time soon, so I thought the 2-speed will be good enough, at least for a folding bike?

So, right now I'm in a dillema regarding whether to Ti or not to Ti, whether to go for a 2-speed or a 3-speed (ruled out 6-speed, the gear changing mechanism was a turn off, not to mention added weight).

Btw, cycle 2 work scheme window closes in two weeks time at work, so I need to make a decision fast!

Help please!

Cheers.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Mandark - I haven't read your other posts but is there a reason that you need the folder to be low weight apart from carrying it about?

I would choose the other components first and if you want a rack etc it will bring up the weight - If I was buying a brompton I'd look at more gears and a handlebar system that suited my riding as priorities over weight.

OP
OP
M

mandark

Hi ttcycle,

The only reason I want the bike to weight less so that I don't get strained lugging it around while changing trains, something that will happen on a daily basis and I'd be carrying the bike around for 15 minutes or so.

Cheers.

Ti, 3 speed, rack & EZ wheels, regular bars with XX low gear option would be my choice. The two speed is just too limited and has a tendency to get clogged up without regular cleaning (if it's sore knees you want just go for a single speed). The two speed only really starts to make sense as an upgrade for the 3spd in my view.

Spec the extra stiff suspension elastomer too if you weigh more than about six stone.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi Mandark

If you're carrying it for 15 mins - might be worth considering the wheels that you can order for them- so you can wheel it around rather than carrying it if it's a possiblity. Do you have back or arm problems which would mean you'd need to consider weight? Tbh spending the extra on a Ti frame for a Brompton would be a waste of cash - concerns re weight would be important for racing bikes- don't get seduced by the marketing of a Ti frame - seems uneccessary in this case esp if you're using it for a commute. I used to lug about my cheap folder on the trains years ago when I lived elsewhere- that bike weighed about 18-19kg - you get used to weight -though I'd recommend something lighter than my steel folder of yesteryear!!

A question to consider which may put it into perspective is..think about the items you will carry on the rack ie luggage and the relative weight of that as well - would a Ti frame really save you much weight?

Things to consider are gearing - do you have a lot of hills where you are - forget how it looks for a moment as if the gears don't allow you to get up and down the hills you won't use the bike as it will initially just feel torturous!

I don't see a strong arguement to go for the Ti frame, it may be lighter and stronger but it's a hell of a premium to pay for it -it would also mean a much increased waiting time for the bike.

My old manager got the 6 speed brompton -can't remember the handlebars he had - but it was fairly light and my test ride of it was zippy- though the gearing is quite high which my mean your legs spin out a lot without you having the power/momentum to drive forward as much.

EDIT -Mickle's post mentioned changing to a lower gear option - I'd definitely spend the money here instead

EDIT 2: Misread mudguards as mudguards and rack- though original points still stand - consider what is practical for your commute -

I agree with Mickle,it's highly unlikely you will carry it for 15 mins - you can just wheel it or push it

OP
OP
M

mandark

Hi,
Thank you for taking time replying to my message.

You've convinced me that Ti will be a non issue, given my context. I guess I knew it all along, but the lure of titanium was clouding my vision ;-)

Have nice weekend, or what's left of it!

ttcycle said:
Hi Mandark

If you're carrying it for 15 mins - might be worth considering the wheels that you can order for them- so you can wheel it around rather than carrying it if it's a possiblity. Do you have back or arm problems which would mean you'd need to consider weight? Tbh spending the extra on a Ti frame for a Brompton would be a waste of cash - concerns re weight would be important for racing bikes- don't get seduced by the marketing of a Ti frame - seems uneccessary in this case esp if you're using it for a commute. I used to lug about my cheap folder on the trains years ago when I lived elsewhere- that bike weighed about 18-19kg - you get used to weight -though I'd recommend something lighter than my steel folder of yesteryear!!

A question to consider which may put it into perspective is..think about the items you will carry on the rack ie luggage and the relative weight of that as well - would a Ti frame really save you much weight?

Things to consider are gearing - do you have a lot of hills where you are - forget how it looks for a moment as if the gears don't allow you to get up and down the hills you won't use the bike as it will initially just feel torturous!

I don't see a strong arguement to go for the Ti frame, it may be lighter and stronger but it's a hell of a premium to pay for it -it would also mean a much increased waiting time for the bike.

My old manager got the 6 speed brompton -can't remember the handlebars he had - but it was fairly light and my test ride of it was zippy- though the gearing is quite high which my mean your legs spin out a lot without you having the power/momentum to drive forward as much.

EDIT -Mickle's post mentioned changing to a lower gear option - I'd definitely spend the money here instead

EDIT 2: Misread mudguards as mudguards and rack- though original points still stand - consider what is practical for your commute -

I agree with Mickle,it's highly unlikely you will carry it for 15 mins - you can just wheel it or push it

OP
OP
M

mandark

Hi Mickle,
Thanks for the helpful input.

When you say XX low gear option (assuming you're hinting at a 3-speed), how much percentage do you have in mind? Brompton does 12% and 18% lowering over the standard for 3-speed (which if I understand itself used to be a lowered option in older days).

Cheers.

mickle said:
Ti, 3 speed, rack & EZ wheels, regular bars with XX low gear option would be my choice. The two speed is just too limited and has a tendency to get clogged up without regular cleaning (if it's sore knees you want just go for a single speed). The two speed only really starts to make sense as an upgrade for the 3spd in my view.

Spec the extra stiff suspension elastomer too if you weigh more than about six stone.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Under what circs do you need to carry it for 15 mins?

Unless you're on underground it's usually easier to unfold it and push or alternatively use the Easi wheels and tow it like a suitcase. I've used an L3 and more recently and M6R for 10years and the only time I've carried it on PT was for a couple of weeks when London Midland had a misguided policy to enforce folding at the ticket barrier.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I think I'd go for the all-steel, 2-speed S-type with the straight handlebars myself, unless I needed something bigger than the S-bag to go on the front. Depends how hilly your ride is on whether two gears is enough. I like the titanium bits, but they're expensive.

OP
OP
M

mandark

Erm... I should have mentioned 15 minutes a day in total :biggrin:. Yes, it will be underground, but what worries me are stations where I have to climb up/down stairs, with no escalator access, which is what my interchanges usually are like.

Bromptonaut said:
Under what circs do you need to carry it for 15 mins?

Unless you're on underground it's usually easier to unfold it and push or alternatively use the Easi wheels and tow it like a suitcase. I've used an L3 and more recently and M6R for 10years and the only time I've carried it on PT was for a couple of weeks when London Midland had a misguided policy to enforce folding at the ticket barrier.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
mandark - you will be absolutely fine in that case - up and down stairs with the old heavy steel folder in my case was a cinch when I used to commute by bike and train and if you don't have back or arm troubles then lightweight is not important.

What is the gearing like on your current bike - this would be a good place to start re gearing considerations - assuming of course you already have a bike!!

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Agree with TT on carrying where folding is not mandated. Hand round main tube, nose of saddle on shoulder and you should be fine. The M6 has the clip to keep the rear triangle in place but personally I prefer to let it dangle - YMMV.

Much easier to carry that way then folded as the bag stays on the front and weight is close to the body's centreline. I'd have my back out within a week if I had to carry it folded.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Whatever you're doing, do it - I seem to recall that Brompton have allocated all 2009 stock, and the 2010 models have a significant price increase to come.

It's the reason I went for an S6, not an S3 - that's what my LBS had, and they couldn't get S3s until January, and at the new price (£100 ish more!)

OP
OP
M

mandark

Hi tt,

Speaking of current gearing in my bike... there's none! I mean I don't have a bike and haven't had one since I left college, so it's a bit of a comeback journey for me :-)

ttcycle said:
mandark - you will be absolutely fine in that case - up and down stairs with the old heavy steel folder in my case was a cinch when I used to commute by bike and train and if you don't have back or arm troubles then lightweight is not important.

What is the gearing like on your current bike - this would be a good place to start re gearing considerations - assuming of course you already have a bike!!

Top Bottom