Brompton configurations nightmare

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
oh ok- my assumption; you're a comeback kid!!

In that case go for three speed - I'd be inclined to say six to give you more options so you can select a gear that you can easily spin on (less work), especially if you're a newbie returning to cycling but that's up to you. Then if you find your legs are getting stronger the more you ride you can replace some of the chainwheels (I've heard of people doing this at their LBS) and getter gearing more suited to your developing riding style.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
if you had to fold it up and carry - if both hands were free you could carry it broadly across your chest to distribute the weight across your body rather than lugging it one handed...still with the wheels an unlikely scenario....

I have an M6R and like it. I don't need to use it in conjunction with tube/train changes though - I carry it down one flight of stairs in the morning (flat) and up one (work) and vice versa coming home. It's not bad to carry really so long as it's not particularly far. I tend to pick it up around the main bar rather than the seat as I'm too short for the seat and then lean it against my legs to carry it up/down stairs. You also won't want to be carrying it the entire of one 'change' - you'll probably want to wheel it along until you have stairs (folded, on EZWheels - probably easier if you have the rear rack but I haven't wheeled the non-rear racks along on EZWheels). You can do this without bending down much if you leave the seat slightly up when folding - it still has to be down far enough to hold the bike together mind! - and then steer with the back of the seat.

I really like having 6 speeds. For my commute I normally only use one, TBH, as my commute is flat. However, I have used the whole range depending on where I am riding. I've decided the Brompton is so useful for using with train trips and days out etc etc that it's come on holiday with me now and the extra gears are useful. I could probably make do with 3; but I do enjoy the 6. IIRC going from 3 speed to 6 speed isn't much extra weight, so you might want to consider it for the extra flexibility it gives you.

Agreed. And, while you might find bikes on (say) Evans website, there is no substitute for a LBS that actually knows about Bromptons to deal with any issues (particularly warranty issues, and that first service you're supposed to get fairly soon after starting to ride the bike) that might arise. My LBS did something the other day which meant the bike no longer folded!

mark i

I would not worry about the weight of the frame re titanium, the rest of the parts are not exactly lightwieght! Ref carrying, when I use mine I have the rear rack and easy wheels. I am able to just pull it along by the handlebars, then fold them down at the last minute. I do not find that the rack is much good for carrying as anything wider than the rack stops you pedalling!
Ref 3 or 6 speed when I got mine (18 months ago) the deralleur (SP?) was used to give you two gear ranges, but they had large overlap, it seemed odd the way you would have to use the gears to go through them sequencially. I used the standard 3 speed, 1st was used occasionally and for starting, 2nd used intially for all flat and 3 for downhill. Now I use 2nd or 3rd on the flat depending on how much energy I have. It is undualating here rather than hilly!

Crankarm

Guru
As I understand it 3 to 6 spd is just an extra sprocket on the back, you still have the 3 speed hub which is pretty reliable. Both mine have not had to be touched in 7 years. Go for a 6spd (x2 ratios of 3 is a better way to visualise the gearing), without rack or lights to add extra weight. Forget Ti on a Brompton, it's a gimmick. If the whole frame were Ti then it might be worthwhile but I believe it is just the forks and back triangle. Go for M or flat bars. For me it was M bars which I have put mini bar ends on.

In reality you won't be carrying it much. Just hook the back wheel under and stand it on the trolley wheels whilst waiting anywhere. When you have to move open the bike out again in an instant and move on. This is well impressive and always you get people coming up to you to talk about the bike.

Although you can you'd be insane to take a Brompton on the Tube IMHO. Why don't you ride it? It's nice seeing the sights of London. Why buy one if all you are going to do is carry it around :girl:? Waste of money buying one if this is so. Honestly an L6 without all the furntiure to go on it is the best and lightest option. Go for a front touring pannier which mounts on the front block (an extra £8 IIRC). As you are a returner to cycling give yourself the best chance of getting a gear you are comfortable with. If you were a regular fit road cyclist such as Robert Heras then maybe you could cope with a fixed, 2 or 3 spd. They are well fast and manoeurable bikes when you're are used to riding them. Good for scalping :tongue:.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Crankarm said:
As I understand it 3 to 6 spd is just an extra sprocket on the back, you still have the 3 speed hub which is pretty reliable. Both mine have not had to be touched in 7 years. Go for a 6spd (x2 ratios of 3 is a better way to visualise the gearing), without rack or lights to add extra weight. Forget Ti on a Brompton, it's a gimmick. If the whole frame were Ti then it might be worthwhile but I believe it is just the forks and back triangle. Go for M or flat bars. For me it was M bars which I have put mini bar ends on.

In reality you won't be carrying it much. Just hook the back wheel under and stand it on the trolley wheels whilst waiting anywhere. When you have to move open the bike out again in an instant and move on. This is well impressive and always you get people coming up to you to talk about the bike.

Although you can you'd be insane to take a Brompton on the Tube IMHO. Why don't you ride it? It's nice seeing the sights of London. Why buy one if all you are going to do is carry it around :girl:? Waste of money buying one if this is so. Honestly an L6 without all the furntiure to go on it is the best and lightest option. Go for a front touring pannier which mounts on the front block (an extra £8 IIRC). As you are a returner to cycling give yourself the best chance of getting a gear you are comfortable with. If you were a regular fit road cyclist such as Robert Heras then maybe you could cope with a fixed, 2 or 3 spd. They are well fast and manoeurable bikes when you're are used to riding them. Good for scalping :tongue:.

+1- Wealth of info there- good post crankarm..funny this, I don't own a Brompton nor plan to get one!

OP
OP
M

mandark

Hi Savage,

Speaking of LBS, which one for central London? Right now I'm thinking of buying from Acton bikes, but I'm flexible, as long as the LBS falls under cycle scheme (see http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/employee,partnerfinder.htm)

Cheers.

SavageHoutkop said:
Agreed. And, while you might find bikes on (say) Evans website, there is no substitute for a LBS that actually knows about Bromptons to deal with any issues (particularly warranty issues, and that first service you're supposed to get fairly soon after starting to ride the bike) that might arise. My LBS did something the other day which meant the bike no longer folded!

OP
OP
M

mandark

By the way... did I mention colour?

Hehehehe... I need to decide on a cool colour combo too, was thinking total black. I wish the Brompton website had a colour chooser to demo how different combinations look!

Crankarm

Guru
ttcycle said:
+1- Wealth of info there- good post crankarm..funny this, I don't own a Brompton nor plan to get one!

Err......so you're well placed to advise some one who is considering purchasing one :tongue:?

Sorry, but LoL :girl: .............

Twanger

Über Member
Crankarm said:
As I understand it 3 to 6 spd is just an extra sprocket on the back, you still have the 3 speed hub which is pretty reliable.

Not quite - the range on the Sturmey is wider on the 6 speed with, I think, a lower middle gear.

I have an M6L. The M bars are the best for me, being higher than the S and sturdier than the P. I use 1 and 2 up serious hills (down hills I coast, for I am lazy and frightened of belting down hills on a folder), 3 and 4 around town (so the sturmey archer stays in mid position, and I change on the derailleur), 5 on fast, fairly traffic free bits of flat, and I have yet to use 6 seriously.

One thing I am very happy about getting, though, is the Brooks saddle....

It's no problem carrying my steel framed bike upstairs. Assuming you are not carrying up the stairs at Russell Square, you should have no problems.

Crankarm

Guru
mandark said:
Hehehehe... I need to decide on a cool colour combo too, was thinking total black. I wish the Brompton website had a colour chooser to demo how different combinations look!

You pay extra to have your own colour combo IIRC and you would have to wait longer to get one. Why not get a bog standard colour combo that's in stock in a bike shop what ever colour it is black, red/black, yellow, pink or green?

Have you actually ridden one? If not I suggest you get a test ride asap otherwise you're just peeing in the wind and wasting the time of those who are generously giving you advice about them.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Crankarm said:
Err......so you're well placed to advise some one who is considering purchasing one :wacko:?

Sorry, but LoL :smile: .............

Looked into one quite some time ago, did tons of research so know a lot about them but since my workplace and home location changed in time -no longer required one to get to work. So not a complete red herring chucking irrelevant info out there!:smile:

Mandark, black you will find will is often standard and stocked in the shops - colour combos will definitely make your wait longer and more expensive as it will be prices for a 2010 bike instead of the current stocl of 2009. As Crankarm says get out there and try one as it would be foolish to purchase without riding one esp if you've been off a bike for some time - they are a different feel to 'normal bikes' due to the wheel size- a bit twitchier.

OP
OP
M

mandark

Yep, I have tried one, a couple of colleagues at work have all steel ones (and that's where the weight complaints come from, because they felt a tad bit weighty...)

Crankarm said:
Have you actually ridden one? If not I suggest you get a test ride asap otherwise you're just peeing in the wind and wasting the time of those who are generously giving you advice about them.

Top Bottom