Brompton configurations nightmare

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Compton Cycles - v. happy with them stocking 406 presta inner tubes today, saved my bacon big time. 4 punctures today, two unpatchable due to splits, and all different causes. Grrrr!

Thank you for the warm welcome fellas. I am even more excited about getting my Brommie now. I am also sure that I will master those gear changes by following your helpful advice. I am only surprised that it has taken me so long to take the plunge and buy one. I have alaways admired Bromptons for their functionality but have also thought of them as a design icon...really cool.
As for On Your Bike, Chap, I could spend all day in there as it seems such a friendly place to do business. BentMikey, I have missed you over on Bikeradar, did someone upset you? (I know there some odd folk on that site)

Bill

Crankarm

Guru
Anyone know if Brompton allow or do tours of their factory to show how the great machine is made, for current and prospective customers only obviously.............. as I would love to pay them a visit as I think the design is in the best top ten 10 maybe top five of the 20th C. There's praise.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Crankarm said:
Anyone know if Brompton allow or do tours of their factory to show how the great machine is made, for current and prospective customers only obviously.............. as I would love to pay them a visit as I think the design is in the best top ten 10 maybe top five of the 20th C. There's praise.

Charlotte back in the days of acf organised a trip round the Brommie factory many moons ago. I recall the photos. Interesting.

Funnily enough, Mr.Crankarm, I was thinking of a tour of the factory after logging on to the Brompton website. I'm sure they have done it before (even if it was only an anniversary-type event) and as a PA exercise is would be great. That said, as Brompton seem snowed under with orders, they may not feel the need to go through the hassle of arranging visits what with the H & S laws and all. Still, I might give the factory a ring this week to tell them that they should be about to build my bike and would it be possible to come along to have a look-see with some folk from this forum - say five or six of us. What do you think? It may be too near the Christmas rush though I fear.

Bill

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
TheBoyBilly said:
BentMikey, I have missed you over on Bikeradar, did someone upset you? (I know there some odd folk on that site)

Bill

No, just me failing to do any work by spending too much time online. I've been back there for a while now that it's my quiet period of the year again.

Brains

Legendary Member
The CTC magazine had a several page artical on the Brompton factory a few months back. Makes for interesting reading

Hi all, just to let you know that, having emailed Brompton about factory tours, that I received a prompt reply today. As anticipated the factory do not foresee the possibilty of running a tour in the near future as the premises don't lend themselves to a safe environment for groups of visitors. It was worth the ask but I knew the answer really. A sign of the times I suppose. :blush:

Bill

chap

Veteran
TheBoyBilly said:
Hi all, just to let you know that, having emailed Brompton about factory tours, that I received a prompt reply today. As anticipated the factory do not foresee the possibilty of running a tour in the near future as the premises don't lend themselves to a safe environment for groups of visitors. It was worth the ask but I knew the answer really. A sign of the times I suppose. ;)

Bill

I'd imagine they would be getting prepared for the 2010 season. I wonder if the extra £100 cost for essentially a 2009 model, will affect demand.

Twanger

Über Member
chap said:
A slight aside, but I paid a visit to On Your Bike on your recommendation, and they have an underground bike park (as in car park but good).

What an inspired idea!

I would also recommend Compton Cycles (where I bought my Brompton) they are fair, friendly, and knowledgeable although at the opposite end of London for me :sad:

+1

I also bought my Brompton from Compton's.

samanosuke

Regarding gear shifting, am I correct in that we are suppose to only shift the hub gears when we are NOT pedaling, and only shift the deraileur gears when pedaling?

chap

Veteran
Gear changing

samanosuke said:
Regarding gear shifting, am I correct in that we are suppose to only shift the hub gears when we are NOT pedaling, and only shift the deraileur gears when pedaling?

That's right hub gears don't like pedal movement, whereas derailers do. I sometimes accidentally pedal when moving the hub gear (used to derailer bikes) although that is rare.

I suggest if you have a 6 speed to just treat both as hubs (if you keep forgetting) this way when you start peddling, the derailer will sort itself out.

chap said:
That's right hub gears don't like pedal movement, whereas derailers do. I sometimes accidentally pedal when moving the hub gear (used to derailer bikes) although that is rare.

I suggest if you have a 6 speed to just treat both as hubs (if you keep forgetting) this way when you start peddling, the derailer will sort itself out.

Something else I hadn't thought of having been brought up on derailleurs. I haven't ridden a hub geared bike since the mid 60s so thanks for the heads-up.

Bill

Top Bottom