Brompton Cover on Public Transport- an Ikea bag!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lady melchet

My second time out on my new Brompton I was refused entry on a bus because the bike was not covered. When I got home I tried an Ikea bag. I inverted the bag cut a T shaped hole in the base for the saddle at one end. I then cut the long handles off. As my bike has a rack I was able to loop one short handle around the brake lever and the handle on the other side loops around the rack to hold everything in place. Fits a treat and I can still carry the bike with the saddle. I also discovered that the bike can be completely covered by putting it in a second bag and carried if required.
I had no problems getting on the bus the next time! Has anybody else tried this?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
No, but when I had a Brompton I kept a bin liner rolled up in a freezer bag and stuffed in the seat tube just in case.

StuartG

slower but further
I think if you do a search you will find several references to IKEA's Dimpy bag. About £3.99, very strong and you don't have to cut it. The standard Brommie fits completely inside perfectly. Its not clear what's inside but you can still grasp it by the saddle to carry.

Best Brommie accessory I have ever bought. Used it for years. Needed on NationalExpress coaches. Never had a problem without on ordinary buses

Top Bottom