Brompton, Dahon or Birdy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's a guy who looks just like you who's cross-posted this in Commuting...

OP
OP
adam2008

adam2008

Sorry:
Commuting and to take it on the train. Plus easy maintance; I hear that bromptons are a pain when it comes to have a flat back tyre???
Thanks, Adam

byegad

Legendary Member
In short.
Bromptons are brilliant folders.
Dahons Ride well.
Birdy has suspension.

People will tell you how far they've ridden on a Brompton, or how well their Dahon or Birdy folds or how smooth their Dahon or Brompton is on poor surfaces.

It's up to you but remember you are buying a dual purpose item. All dual purpose items are a compromise. The trick is to pick the balance between functions which suits you bast.

I own a Dahon Matrix-V 26" wheel folder that is not at all commuter train friendly, a Dahon Speed-Pro which rides almost as well as my full size tourer and folds small enough to take on a bus and a Phillips Boardwalk for taking on holiday which folds slightly smaller than the Sped-Pro and is cheap enough to park anywhere!

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Rear punctures on a B are undoubtedly a pain, but with decent well inflated tyres they're few and far between.

The B has the best fold and smallest folded package amongst your options. If you go for one of the front pannier options luggage is a cinch. Folded folders are all unwieldy; the trick is to postpone the fold as late as possible and unfold as soon as you leap off the train (or even in the vestibule). An unfolded brompton with loaded front pannier can be wheeled under the control of two fingers on the saddle.

PrettyboyTim

You could always put a puncture-resistant tyre on the rear wheel; I have Schwalbe Marathons Plusses on my bike and they seem to be pretty well respected for their puncture-proof properties. Certainly I've not had a puncture with them yet but then I've only had them since December.

I'd be very suprised if they don't do Brompton-sized versions.

Lively

I have ordinary marathons on my Brompton. They grip a damn sight better than the ones supplied with the bike. However I find them rather harsh.

Top Bottom