Brompton Decision Time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
I'm buying a Brompton on Cycle to Work.
I intend to use this to supplement my commute, which is a 30 mile one way trip. I may cycle half way, then use the train, or sometimes ride all the way. I may also do some group rides such as FNRTTC.
I am leaning towards a 6 speed with M type handlebars and mudguards, but wasn't sure about the following:
Rack or no rack
Easywheels or not.
Front bag?

At some point I will build another wheel with a dynamo.

I can get this from Cycle Surgery or Condor, or possibly another Halfords approved supplier.
I would welcome advice or comments to help me decide.
Thanks

fimm

Veteran
Get a rack, it makes the thing much more stable when it is folded and is useful for carrying heavier stuff.
Get a bag if your budget will stretch to one, or at least get the front block fitted. A bag over the front wheel makes the ride much less "skippy".
Have a read of the other "advice on buying a Brompton" threads on here... :smile:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The only things I've ever used the rack for, in 19 years of riding, are as a stand and as a holder for the rear light. If it wasn't for the fact that my current rear dynamo LED is remarkably unreliable (something to do with the wiring rather than the light itself) I'd still recommend the rack every time. I'd also recommend the hub dynamo upgrade as a no-brainer for next year, or now if the budget runs to it.

The front luggage is a no-brainer all the time. I've got no opinion on the 6-speed option.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've never used my rear rack

The owner of my local Brompton dealer has been known to bungee unfeasibly large bits of luggage to the carrier on his Brommie demo.

Unless you want to do that, the rack is hardly worth having.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Definitely front luggage - or at least the block to fit it. I use mine all the time.

I don't have a rack and haven't missed it in two years.

How likely are you to want to wheel it about folded? The standard tiny wheels on the mudguard only work on very smooth floors. You might want Easywheels if you want to wheel it on station platforms - I just fold & unfold next to the train door and carry it a few feet onto the train.

You'll love it when you get it - have you picked a colour yet?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Rack - mine is a pointless fixture
Luggage block - a must
Bag - too specific to an individuals needs but more than one is good and add the optional bottle holders.
I like a S type myself, with Ergon grips and mini bar ends.
(And a six speed SA hub conversion)

fimm

Veteran
I've carried
  • a yoga mat
  • a large pot that I'd just bought
  • extra shopping when I was a bit too enthusiastic
  • a pile of assorted files and papers
  • two boxes of trainers
among other things, on my back rack. In all cases I either already had something in the front bag, or the thing I wanted to transport was too heavy for it.
I use the front bag all the time, but I do find the rack useful for a back-up.

I'm buying a Brompton on Cycle to Work.
I intend to use this to supplement my commute, which is a 30 mile one way trip. I may cycle half way, then use the train, or sometimes ride all the way. I may also do some group rides such as FNRTTC.
I am leaning towards a 6 speed with M type handlebars and mudguards, but wasn't sure about the following:
Rack or no rack
Easywheels or not.
Front bag?

At some point I will build another wheel with a dynamo.

I can get this from Cycle Surgery or Condor, or possibly another Halfords approved supplier.
Very happy with our M6R with easywheels and front bag :smile:
I think if you go rackless the easywheels aren't as much of a bonus as if you have easywheels with a rack.
I would try very hard to buy from a Brompton-approved supplier who will throw in a few (good) services, I bought mine from a bike shop I'm not particularly happy with.
Now Brompton ranks dealers - Condor seems to be 'premier'. http://www.brompton.com/Find-a-Store

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I use the reduced gearing 6 speed (for hills) and it works a treat.
No rack and have not missed it yet.
With S bars in particular Ergons are a must - can't comment on M.
Front luggage is a must, as I can't justify Brompton bags I have an S type bag frame and simply attach one of my numerous saddlebags to it with removable tie-wraps.
Hang Saddlebags off brooks also can use SQR system.

I recall you being somewhat taller than me so assume you already getting the extended seat post.

They're fab machines.

.......who needs a shopping trolley eh......
2011_05_14_Brompton_grocery_shopping_DSC_2849.jpg

Fab Foodie

I use the reduced gearing 6 speed (for hills) and it works a treat.
No rack and have not missed it yet.
With S bars in particular Ergons are a must - can't comment on M.
Front luggage is a must, as I can't justify Brompton bags I have an S type bag frame and simply attach one of my numerous saddlebags to it with removable tie-wraps.
Hang Saddlebags off brooks also can use SQR system.

I recall you being somewhat taller than me so assume you already getting the extended seat post.

They're fab machines.

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
Yep, I'm getting the extended seatpost. If I don't get a rack will I still be able to fit a rear dynamo light

Fab Foodie

Yep, I'm getting the extended seatpost. If I don't get a rack will I still be able to fit a rear dynamo light
Yes, you can.
It may be possible to fit some of the B&M rears too as well as the standard Brompton fare.
Battery versions also available that mount in the same place. There is a Decathlon rear battery light that also fits.

jay clock

Massive member
+1 for no rack. I have an S3L with an S bag and love the weight over the front improving the handling

In terms of bars I hate the look of the bars other than the S and find them a good height

Top Bottom