Brompton Decision Time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I have M-bars and a rack - and love them both. The rack adds weight certainly, and some expense, but I find it invaluble for carrying beer when the front bag is full of whatever other rubbish I was sent out to buy at the shops :smile:

I was saying to Mrs Cisamcgu a few days ago, riding the Brompton just a mile to the shops, wheeling it around the supermarket, and then zipping home is a source of unadulterated joy. It is by far my favourite bike - even more fun than the VERY expensive tandem we have :smile:

Kell

Veteran
I went for the H6 with just mudguards.

The gears because I live in High Wycombe and sometimes have to go up Marlow Hill or Totteridge and I'm absolutely blowing out my arse by the top, but I can make it up there.

If it wasn't for those hills I could probably make do with a 3 speed. I've certainly never used any of the three bottom gears in London. Normally 4th to pull away and 5th and 6th on the flat.

My only gripe is that slight inclines feel hard in 5th, but you spin ridiculously fast in 4th.

I bought the H type and fitted riser bars as it works for me height wise. The S was too low and the M was waytoo upright. This is nearer to the S than the M but I've never measured it. Was a bit of a risk, but it's worked out really well for me.

Didn't get the rack and nor did I get the dynamo. I hired one with the dynamo and it saps 4% of your power with the lights on. Doesn't sound a lot, but does make a difference.

This is now mine ended up.

IMG_6753.JPG

20284_10152890478466021_7495776447938293737_n.jpg

11813389_10152890478456021_6162788775818582928_n.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yep, I'm getting the extended seatpost. If I don't get a rack will I still be able to fit a rear dynamo light

A reason not to have a dynamo is the fold can eventually sever the cable.

Frustrating because the break happens internally making it hard to find.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
A reason not to have a dynamo is the fold can eventually sever the cable.

Frustrating because the break happens internally making it hard to find.
Useful bit of info - that might be what's happened to me. When I get the requisite energy I'll take a look.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Useful bit of info - that might be what's happened to me. When I get the requisite energy I'll take a look.

The factory fitted dynos were known for it - it happened to mine.

Made all the more irksome because the cable runs inside a sheath, so you have to remove that and then find a break in a cable which has no visible break in its insulation.

@User says checking is the preventative maintenance answer, but I don't see how you can do that given there is no visible break.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The factory fitted dynos were known for it - it happened to mine.

Made all the more irksome because the cable runs inside a sheath, so you have to remove that and then find a break in a cable which has no visible break in its insulation.

@User says checking is the preventative maintenance answer, but I don't see how you can do that given there is no visible break.
Look out every so often for whether your rear light is working, and have a back-up?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I'm going to go against the grain here. As a Brompton rider since 2009 and I've had a few as well, the rack is worth having. It weighs next to nothing in Brompton terms, makes a folded B (half or fully) far more stable, protects the rear guard from shattering (which they do due to the design, frequent folds and the plastic going brittle due to UV) and make an amazingly easy folded package to roll.
Re the Dynamo, 4%? That's not the figures I've seen in research articles and the Schon is a delight. The drag from a dynamo, even the cheaper Shimano, is the least of your worries on a B - wind resistance from being upright, from the front luggage, the flex of the bike, the weight of the thing, the internal geared hub, the resistance the chain tensioner introduces - kinda makes the drag of a dynamo not worth bothering about. The convenience of a set of amazing lights that are legal as well and no battery management is worth it imo.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
The only downside of the dynamo light is the standlight has no "off switch" - the rear light blazes red for a good 5 minutes and the train people DO NOT like red lights on the platform :sad:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
The only downside of the dynamo light is the standlight has no "off switch" - the rear light blazes red for a good 5 minutes and the train people DO NOT like red lights on the platform :sad:
The B and M ones do, not too expensive either. Bit of a missed design feature by BBL especially since their main marketing is to multi mode commuters.

12boy

Guru
I have a 177% SA 3 speed for the B but don't use it much. I put oil in it which resulted in its running real well but it leaks some and I don't like to put it in the car like that. Right now I have a twelve T cog and 54T and 38T chainrings which are enough for me unless I plan to doing some more serious climbing. I just manually shift the chainrings. Still when needed, between the 3 speed and the two chainrings I can climb most of the hills around here. I have a couple of front bags of different sizes and I hung another fairly large bag off the saddle which seem to allow for most possibilities. If I am carrying something heavy i just put light things like jacket, wallet phone etc in the saddle bag as the extra weight in the front frame mounted bag really does help with handling. One of my front bags is the shopping bag one which holds a lot. So, no rear rack for me. I have some ergons with little bull horns which don't interfere with the fold and they do give some hand position choices. I use USB rechargeable blinkies and headlights which seem fine to me. the 140 lumen headlight is a focused narrow beam and the 240 is more diffuse so I can see well enough to ride as fast as I care to. A red blinky on the seat post and on the rear of my helmet take care of being seen from behind. I really have been pleasantly surprised what a great bike the B is for carrying cargo.

Top Bottom