Brompton dynamo hub upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jakob111

I got a Brompton with the Shutter Precision (SP SV8) hub dynamo which is great and I use it all the time.

I am looking to upgrade the front light which is currently a Busch and Müller Lyt BN Plus to something like a B&M LUMOTEC LUXOS, IQ-X or SON Edelux II.

What your your thoughts on the compatibility with the dynamo and other considerations like increased drag or fit?

Thanks in advance!

Tenkaykev

Guru
I got a Brompton with the Shutter Precision (SP SV8) hub dynamo which is great and I use it all the time.

I am looking to upgrade the front light which is currently a Busch and Müller Lyt BN Plus to something like a B&M LUMOTEC LUXOS, IQ-X or SON Edelux II.

What your your thoughts on the compatibility with the dynamo and other considerations like increased drag or fit?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
I upgraded my 2015 Brompton M6L with the Brompton S+P Dynamo wheel kit in 2018. I upgraded the front light later to the Lumotec IQ Cyo Premium senso plus.
It's an excellent light for the price with very good coverage. I've not noticed any extra drag and I leave the light permanently on.

berlinonaut

Veteran
B&M LUMOTEC LUXOS, IQ-X or SON Edelux II.
Drag makes no difference. Of the three I'd go for the Edelux. It fits best to the Brommi and has a switch that you can use w/o looking as well as with gloves. Quality is perfectly sound and it has five years of warranty (that you won't need).
The IQ X is a bit of a tight fit, hard to adjust so it does not blind others and if you manage that the field of light is not too great. The switch is pure misery - it works electrically and is (in all honesty) not intended to be used, as in most cases it won't work anyway the way you assume.
I've no personal experience with the Luxos.

u_i

Über Member
There is no perceptible change in drag during riding with any of these lamps. I free myself from the switch considerations by keeping the lamp switch in the permanent on position and adding a separate switch on the handlebars and connecting it electrically between the lamp and dynamo.

Tenkaykev

Guru
The Lumotec IQ I mentioned has a three position switch, Off / Auto / On . The auto position uses a light sensor to switch the light on/off depending on conditions.

ExBrit

Über Member

Thanks in advance!

I have owned both those lights and I had nothing but problems with the Luxos. After three years it just stopped working completely and I replaced it with the Edelux II which has been running flawlessly for five years. The Edelux is smaller and should fit without problems. I don't think either of them created noticeable drag.

I think the Luxos tries to do too much and ends up doing nothing well and being unreliable. It never produced reliable USB power and could not keep my cell phone topped up. So that feature was a waste of money. I heard stories of it dying in wet weather. As I ride in Southern California I didn't worry too much about that until I rode a 400km brevet after a heavy storm. The water from the road seems to have killed the light. Thank goodness I always carry a set of backup battery lights.

The Edelux is much smaller and simpler. A metal case, a three position switch, a light sensor and a stand-light capacitor.

In terms of the beam pattern, the Luxos is slightly wider and both beam patterns are good. Brightness is about the same.

Hope this helps.

brommieinkorea

B&M IQX is very bright, but mechanical rubbish. I've had great luck with the Luxos B, but it's big and might cause fit problems with a Brompton. The Cyo is great , although I don't think mine has the senso feature so can't vouch for that. If I had it to do again, my little fleet would all have the B&M Cyo.

Top Bottom