Brompton ebike locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nickdove

Hi everyone
my partner has recently bought an ebrompton and the bike shop recommended a Trelock zf580 x-press lock which she bought. My question is can I fit the lock bracket to the frame without compromising its ability to fold-the bike that is? If it is compatible where on the bike should I attach the bracket please

CEBEP

I don’t use locks, nor would recommend using one, but if it’s an absolute must I believe these two spots would do, assuming lock will fit there.

3BE53B84-72C3-4046-AD0A-7D5E1239B6E2.jpeg

Last edited:

berlinonaut

Veteran
Hi everyone
my partner has recently bought an ebrompton and the bike shop recommended a Trelock zf580 x-press lock which she bought. My question is can I fit the lock bracket to the frame without compromising its ability to fold-the bike that is? If it is compatible where on the bike should I attach the bracket please

Probably the only possible position that makes sense with this lock is on top of the main tube near the seat post. The position behind the seatpost tube offers probably too little space (the Abus Bordo only fits in the shorter version of the less safe variant and only if you turn the lever for releasing rear frame upside down).
Depending from where you live I'd however avoid to lock the Brompton outside - it has a very high attention rate to thieves. So at least in bigger cities I'd clearly avoid locking the bike outside but instead taking it with you inside. In close to 15 years of using a Brompton, more than 10 on a daily basis, I can still count with my hands how often I've locked it outside... As many others I don't even take a lock with me most of the time - a safe lock weights a lot and is still not safe enough, so why use it? If you want to take a lock with you for folding locks like the Trelock with most Brompton bags a good solution is to store it at the side of the bag - most bags offer a storage net or something similar there. In comparison to a frame mount you are always free to take the lock with you or leave it at home with each ride w/o an ugly and annoying fixed holding mechanism on the bike itself.

u_i

Über Member
We use Abus Bordo Granit 6500 folding locks. These can be carried near the stem, either on top or to the left of the main tube. The mounts are secured to the main tube with hose clamps.

Lock.jpg

shingwell

I carry an Abus folding lock too but I keep it in a small saddle bag/pouch along with a few other bits & pieces.

But I've only used it twice! As others have said, you can usually take the bike with you into shops etc.

shingwell

Should add... there is one place I do use a (different, cable) lock, and that is on a train. If I have to leave the B in a luggage area and sit a distance away from it, I like to lock it to the train to prevent grab-and-runs just as the doors are closing.

mitchibob

Über Member
Should add... there is one place I do use a (different, cable) lock, and that is on a train. If I have to leave the B in a luggage area and sit a distance away from it, I like to lock it to the train to prevent grab-and-runs just as the doors are closing.

Yeah, I have taken cable-tie sorta thing for train journeys where I might fall asleep, or not as close to luggage rack as I'd like for the same reason as you after hearing a few thefts that way. However, never ever felt the need to own a proper lock for Brompton as just can bring it where-ever, and any place that wont let me bring it in, doesn't deserve my patronage. But if you are planning to lock outside anywhere, then you'll want to be carrying at least an additional kilo at least of lock to be covered by most bike insurance, and at value of eBrompton, possibly more. Just take the bike with you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom