Brompton Explore.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Was browsing for one of these and it seems the only new ones available are being sold by utter clowns wanting 3k for them ! lol

3 feking grand, for a paint job.

...and tan wall tyres, a few spares and a couple of bags.

You’re right it is completely nuts, but the good news is that it keeps the used prices nice and high for us owners of older models.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Why can't/won't Brompton make a 20 or 24 inch proper 'touring' edition,
There's a Dutch guy who has a conversion front fork and rear triangle set that takes 18" knobbly tyres and has disc brakes,
https://www.eerdermetaal.nl/index.html
Graham from Tiller Cycles built a 24" Brompton a while ago for his own fun and need and Juliane Neuss from Germany built a 20" Brompton (or two, to be exact) on customers' behalf about three or two years ago. I did ride both of the 20" versions and - due to a wheelbase of about massive 120cm (compared to the 104cm of a normal Brompton) - these bikes ride a lot more stable and less nippy. Very interesting and comfortable ride, fold like a normal Brompton (though obviously to somewhat bigger size) and vastly expensive due to being a one-off. I can understand why Brompton do not do those things, though these bikes are very interesting and well made.

shingwell

Graham from Tiller Cycles built a 24" Brompton a while ago for his own fun and need and Juliane Neuss from Germany built a 20" Brompton (or two, to be exact) on customers' behalf about three or two years ago. I did ride both of the 20" versions and - due to a wheelbase of about massive 120cm (compared to the 104cm of a normal Brompton) - these bikes ride a lot more stable and less nippy. Very interesting and comfortable ride, fold like a normal Brompton (though obviously to somewhat bigger size) and vastly expensive due to being a one-off. I can understand why Brompton do not do those things, though these bikes are very interesting and well made.
Any pics?

Brads

But what on earth is going on with Ebay prices?>

Bikes that cost 1200 direct from Brompton are on for 2k or more with a couple of sellers.

£3k for any ltd edition seems to be his going price, surely they don't actually sell for that, as a ltd edition is , like I said, paint.

12boy

Guru
Saw a video introducing it and thought the Brompton rep was going to break his arm patting himself on the back. Bags were nice, spare parts a good idea, but mostly just a paint job and an all weather saddle. If anyone has tried the tires, is the rolling resistance any different from regular Marathons?

berlinonaut

Veteran
But what on earth is going on with Ebay prices?>

Bikes that cost 1200 direct from Brompton are on for 2k or more with a couple of sellers.

£3k for any ltd edition seems to be his going price, surely they don't actually sell for that, as a ltd edition is , like I said, paint.
These are not prices, these are offers. Big difference. There is no sign of proof that anybody would buy at these prices or any bike has been sold at these prices - it just a lot of wishful thinking and waiting for the one fool to finally get out of bed and buy an overpriced Brompton.... ^_^

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Same as the glut of overpriced Brompton parts on Amazon and EBay, on average about 20% higher than official Brompton dealers, they’re just taking advantage of the punter not bothering to check before buying.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Any pics?
Here's an excessive load of pics of the first 20" - we call it the "Bromptosaurus". The second one is called "Bromptosaurus Rex" (because it got a couple of tiny improvements as well as an electric motor in the frontwheel). It has a P bar and is colored in rust - looks pretty badass. ^_^ Here's a pdf by the owner that includes a couple of pics: https://faltenreich.de/Bromptosaurus.pdf

Regarding the 24" version of Graham: He used to have pics of it on his webpage for tillercycles, but he stopped running his business and it seems that his webpage is gone, at least for the moment. I think I saved at least one pic of the bike from Graham's webpage but would not post it on my own as I do not have the copyright. You can however find two pics via Archive.org following this link (scroll down a little bit).

shingwell

Thank you, I enjoyed those! I love the name, love the bike stand, love the dedication and serious amount of work that must have gone into those.

I have tried to utilise the "little triangle" on my regular B for storage several times, but it is always just a bit too small. Now I see where I was going wrong - I need a bigger B!

Brads

Oooh just found out that a new S6l will only cost me £645 through my work scheme !!

Now seriously tempted.

12boy

Guru
Go for it. Lotta joy for 645. Being an American there's no pound sign on the keyboard. Matter of fact, tossed my B in the back of my Element, dropped it off at the windshield place and took a roundabout 15 mile route home and then rode 4 miles to pick up the Element when done. So convenient.

Top Bottom