Brompton fall - new cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
11 miles on a 700c wheel will be quicker and more comfortable than a Brompton.
Personal take on this: I don't entirely agree.

I don't have any issue with comfort over distance on my Brompton. It's a very comfortable bike. I find that after a few hours my shoulders start to stiffen but that's significantly longer than 11 miles. I think I could address this problem by adding ergo grips or whatever they're called. I also don't notice any really significant speed difference if I'm just tootling along. I can happily ride my B at the same relaxed cruising speed on a flat-ish tarmac road as I can my road bike.

Where the B starts to suffer is steep hills, headwinds, and unsurfaced roads, or if I'm really in a hurry as opposed to cruising.

That's just how I find my Brompton. Others may differ,

Last edited:
Brompton wheels are a lot smaller than typical adult size wheels, and they are not particularly suited to riding off paved routes. A bigger, stable bike with wider tyres and lower pressures might suit a rough route better, but yes, this might just be your own silly fault for not riding in accordance with the conditions. Give it another chance, just be more mindful of the path ahead. :hugs:

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
You can fall off a bike at any time. Being too cocky, not paying attention etc. I think just about everyone on this forum has fallen off at one time or another. I fell off the year before last when a pheasant flew out of a hedge and made me jump. Luckily I fell into the grass and only my pride was injured. :laugh:

However, you might feel a bit prejudiced and scared of the bike now and if that is the case, you may never like it no matter what.

The only thing you can do is to ride it again (taking more care this time). And as above, do you need a folder? What made you go for a Brommie in the first place? There are plenty of folders with 20 inch wheels and even a couple with 24 inch wheels. Have a think. About things and don't be too hasty when making a decision. Good luck

GM

Legendary Member
:welcome: Just buy a Brompton M6, and you'll be the owner of one of the finest pieces of British engineering for life.

I've used several towpaths in London on a Brompton with no problem, you just have to be extra vigilant.

Hope the wounds heal quickly :okay:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whilst a Brompton is certainly more wobbly than a proper bike, particularly on slippy or uneven surfaces, this could be potentially be mitigated somewhat by treaded rather than smooth tyres id using on muddy paths and the like. Smooth tyres certainly better on the road

Re: flat bars - I totally disagree that flat bars are in any way necessary or helpful there. Fair enough as a personal preference but bear in mind cyclo cross bikes and indeed my own off-road tourer Thorn all have proper drop bars. It ain't the handlebars that are causing the problem.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Whilst a Brompton is certainly more wobbly than a proper bike, particularly on slippy or uneven surfaces, this could be potentially be mitigated somewhat by treaded rather than smooth tyres id using on muddy paths and the like. Smooth tyres certainly better on the road

Re: flat bars - I totally disagree that flat bars are in any way necessary or helpful there. Fair enough as a personal preference but bear in mind cyclo cross bikes and indeed my own off-road tourer Thorn all have proper drop bars. It ain't the handlebars that are causing the problem.
There's a reason why mountain bikes have flat bars (and I say that as someone who can handle a drop bar bike off-road :okay:).

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I would say no. A Brompton is twitchier than other bikes and the mximum tyre size is very limited. There are also lots of extra parts to get clogged by mud and grit. I don't enjoy riding mine on bad surfaces.

Knobbly tyres are not available for Bromptons are they? The kind of tread that you see on typical urban tyres (like below) will not be any help on a muddy section. They are a marketing gimmick, designed to trick people into thinking they will prevent a tyre from aquaplaning, which isn't even possible on a bicycle.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Here is someone doing a little off road on his brommie.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl3MXRz22yI

Possible but he's carrying where a MTB would be riding.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
There's a reason why mountain bikes have flat bars (and I say that as someone who can handle a drop bar bike off-road :okay:).

Yebbutt a canal tow path or farm track isn't really "off-road" in the mountain bike sense is it. Clue's in the name "mountain bike"

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Knobbly tyres are not available for Bromptons are they? The kind of tread that you see on typical urban tyres (like below) will not be any help on a muddy section. They are a marketing gimmick, designed to trick people into thinking they will prevent a tyre from aquaplaning, which isn't even possible on a bicycle.

View attachment 530924

Marathons are somewhat treaded so I imagine they'd be better than smooth kojaks like wot I've got (for 99% road use)
Not really about aquaplaning, which as you imply isn't possible on a bike, but just a bit of tread on muddy tracks.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Glad you're OK after your off. At least you didn't have a swim...

As others have said, a Brompton could handle a decent tow path, but it's probably not the best choice, unless you need a bike to fold that small. I'd look at a gravel, hybrid or touring bike. These types of bikes will allow you to use wider tyres with choices of tread, letting you tailor your grip and comfort, depending on your route.

My advice would be to get two bikes: a Brompton and a bigger wheeled bike...

jay clock

Massive member
i have a range of bikes and must say that the worst handling and most twitchy is the Brompton. Improved by using the front bag with some kit in. But not great for bumpy terrain. Bigger wheels help and even trying a 29" mtb the other day it was noticeably better over rough ground than my 26"

I have 2 ebikes - one a sort of hybrid with fairly smooth tyres and a folder - again with smoothish tyres - as both are normally used on roads

However I do go on a lot of tracks and paths but not mountains

The full size is FAR easier to ride on muddy tracks and over bumpy bits. The folder is much more jittery - especially on bumpy bits) but not to a point where it is much of a problem.
I would suggest that you try to have a go with a different folder and a hybrid before you decide.

roley poley

Über Member
:welcome:don't worry we all have fallen off at some stage no matter what we choose to ride , get well soon.... How's the hired Brompton after it was fished out of the cut? I feel you need to open it out to dry and air ,please be honest when you return it and tell them of it's history as they need to know it's had a full immersion . Telling the story with humour ,honesty and apologies will I feel save you from any retention of a deposit you may have left as it will prove your nice character especially if you want to buy a bike from them in the near future:hello:

Top Bottom