Brompton front dynamo lamp - a bit of a moan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I don't know my own strength, because when I tried to twist off the front of my Brompton's dyanamo lamp to replace the bulb, I broke it. I bought a new LED dynamo lamp from the bike shop. It is much brighter than the old lamp - good, but I can't find anyway of switching it off. It has a standlamp, charged by a capacitor or battery or something. It fades off after several minutes. The problem is that railway workers don't like people taking bikes on the platforms with lights on in case the drivers think there's an emergency. I expect it is probably red lights rather than white lights that are the problem, but I don't know. Anyway, it would be good if I could switch it off. The second problem, like all other Brompton dynamo lamps I have had, is that the lamp fouls the bottom of the pannier, unless I point it downwards, in which case I can't see much of the path ahead. Why doesn't someone design a wide narrow front lamp?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I don't know my own strength, because when I tried to twist off the front of my Brompton's dyanamo lamp to replace the bulb, I broke it. I bought a new LED dynamo lamp from the bike shop. It is much brighter than the old lamp - good, but I can't find anyway of switching it off. It has a standlamp, charged by a capacitor or battery or something. It fades off after several minutes. The problem is that railway workers don't like people taking bikes on the platforms with lights on in case the drivers think there's an emergency. I expect it is probably red lights rather than white lights that are the problem, but I don't know. Anyway, it would be good if I could switch it off. The second problem, like all other Brompton dynamo lamps I have had, is that the lamp fouls the bottom of the pannier, unless I point it downwards, in which case I can't see much of the path ahead. Why doesn't someone design a wide narrow front lamp?
Can't help with electronics, but the Philips Saferide is a good wide, narrow dynamo lamp.

Top Bottom