Brompton handle bar grips.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berlinonaut

Veteran
The 2017 onwards the M bar space is only 125 though the grips are 130 long, causing issues with the clamp position with the ergons being on the outside.
In this case I am wondereing why I don't have those issues with the 2017+ M-bar with Ergons (and loads of other people don't as well).

I used the original foam grips on my S6L for years, but when it came to move closer to M style bars I had to cut them off and I’ve now got some no name squishy rubber grips that are much more comfortable. BUT all that time I was using the original Cane Creek ergo bar ends and for most of the time that‘s where my hands perch. Pity the v2 is much harder and less ergo.

I use Sunlite Ergo grips that lack locking rings which take away space. Also their protrusions are squishy which helps when packing the bike into a tight case such as B&W. The rotation around handlebars can be prevented just by placing a piece of tape onto the handlebar, under the grip. Otherwise, you cut them with a utility knife to desired length.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunlite-Ergo-Ridge-Mountain-Bicycle/dp/B0013G8OSU/

Hairspray is apparently the thing to use to stop your grips rotating… spray inside the grip, fit, and apparently it stays put.

u_i

Über Member
Hairspray is apparently the thing to use to stop your grips rotating… spray inside the grip, fit, and apparently it stays put.

Yes, but then you have to reapply it if you take the grips off for some operation. The tape pretty much stays there for the life of the grips. Also, if you apply a significant force you can rotate the grips a bit, so it lets you do the tweaking.

mitchibob

Über Member
All this talk of cutting down the grips.... just unnecessary.

ein-8EGKmdW2iS4sL1FYjNE=w709-h1261-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Pre-2017 M2L, Ergon GP2s (small size), grips not cut down, just brake levers moved a few millimeters, fit fine and securely. GP3 and GP4 also fit. Someone with big hands might want the wider ones, and then, they're not going to fit securely on these bars at least.

berlinonaut

Veteran
All this talk of cutting down the grips.... just unnecessary.
Exactly.
Pre-2017 M2L, Ergon GP2s (small size), grips not cut down, just brake levers moved a few millimeters, fit fine and securely. GP3 and GP4 also fit. Someone with big hands might want the wider ones, and then, they're not going to fit securely on these bars at least.
There are no wider ones, just thicker ones. And that the grips would be a (tight) fit with no need for cutting down was said already on page one of this thread despite others claiming the opposite:
No. The size refers to the circumference of the grips only, so is totally depended from the size of the hands. You had to cut them a bit on the old (pre-2017) M-bars with the old (pre-2013) brake levers. With the post 2013 Brake levers they are a tight fit but it is possible. With the new M-bars wit underbar-shifters from 2017 onwards there are no issues any more. On S-bars there has never been an issue.

Here's an overview of the Ergon range with the Brompton in mind (it is in German but google translate may help): https://bromptonauten.cc/threads/er...unterschiede-und-welche-nehmen.153/#post-1363

12boy

Guru
Being a geriatric my thumbs are becoming arthritic and the broad Ergon surface is my go to. Helps a lot. I bought a P line recently and while the grips are certainly very light they don't work for me after about 10 miles. I replaced them with GP1s.

Softlips

Regular
I had had palm pain too and fitted Ergon GP2 and loved them.

Top Bottom