Brompton higher gearing option

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
H

Holeshot

Regular
Thanks again for all the info - I'm learning all the time.

Just spoke to Kinetics about the Sturmey 8 and Alfine 11 speed conversion - all down to cost really (and that the Alfine requires a slight rear triangle re-shape to accommodate it).

Any thoughts on either of these?
In reality, is the Alfine a smoother ride?

Cheers :okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Just to let you know @Holeshot if you put @ before the members name they will get a notification that you mentioned them.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Alfine 11 is not one of Shimano's finest efforts.

Many early ones broke - mine did, replaced under warranty.

Even when working, it always felt fragile and was prone to missed changes if the cable tension wasn't spot on.

Newer ones might be better.

chriscross1966

Über Member
The Alfine 11 is not one of Shimano's finest efforts.

Many early ones broke - mine did, replaced under warranty.

Even when working, it always felt fragile and was prone to missed changes if the cable tension wasn't spot on.

Newer ones might be better.
They're sensitive to shift cable setup, I find the Jtek shifter to be more reliable than the Shimano rapidfire..

bikegang

Mod before ride, my bike my style...
If you are not a fan of internal gear hub or gear box chainring (schlumpf or Efneo) ... this one probably the widest range you can get so far for push chain type tensioner.

12-16-22T cogs example (11-xx-23 possible)

29851218_1550137201765647_1024512170118873088_n.jpg

27983440_1681096955246160_3302976928394814159_o.jpg

27912979_1681096958579493_8766852664035772105_o.jpg

29598299_603449256687457_8438252933185075196_n.jpg

OP
OP
H

Holeshot

Regular
If you are not a fan of internal gear hub or gear box chainring (schlumpf or Efneo) ... this one probably the widest range you can get so far for push chain type tensioner.

12-16-22T cogs example (11-xx-23 possible)

[

Wow, very nice.
What make are these?

e-rider

crappy member
a simple answer to the OP question is:

if the Brompton from Evans comes with standard gears and you want to convert it to the Brompton +8% higher gear option, all you need is the 54T chainring and a longer chain that Brompton sell. It's a cheap simple swap out of 2 parts.

OP
OP
H

Holeshot

Regular
a simple answer to the OP question is:

if the Brompton from Evans comes with standard gears and you want to convert it to the Brompton +8% higher gear option, all you need is the 54T chainring and a longer chain that Brompton sell. It's a cheap simple swap out of 2 parts.

Thanks for that.....

Just been advised my new Superlight is ready to collect so have done a bit of prepping as you described above. The chains are Powerlink so are a doddle to swap along with just undoing the allen bolts on the chainrings. Just for those that are concerned about swapping old chains onto new sprockets....the 'old' ones have only done 100 miles :smile:

Am excited to see how the new, lighter version feels.......

OP
OP
H

Holeshot

Regular

Very kind of you sir - thanks!

Quite mouthwatering stuff!

I'll see how I get on with the new bike and the revised shifters.

I like the idea of a sequential set of ratios (as per Alfine conversion) rather than the juggling of ratios between the 2 sets of shifters on the standard set up.
I love the trickness of the triple rear sprockets but slightly worried it might take that juggling to another level. Am trying to calculate the inches that the 12/15/18T sprockets would give with the 3 speed hub :sad:

lyndsayp

The +8% is achieved with a 54T chainring, you can go up to a 60T chainring before it becomes an issue with affecting the hook that locks the front fork during the fold. Next easiest options would be a toss-up between fitting a Schlumpf speed drive to the bottom bracket or an 8-speed Sturmey hubto the rear... about equal complexity... finally there is the whole-hog go bananas option and fit an aftermarket rear triangle from Kinetics or Vostok and put either a Shimano Alfine 11-speed or Rohloff 14-speed hub in it... The Sclumpf unit costs about the same as a cheapo Brompton 3-speed on eBay, the Sturmey setup is a bit cheaper, you could buy a recent Brompton for the cost of an 11-speed conversion once fitted and you could by a new top-end one for the cost of the 14-speed. The Sainted Sheldon's Gear Calculator shall be your One True Word...

@chriscross1966 - I've got a 2 speed Brompton that I'd like to increase the gearing off. I'm considering replacing it's 54T chainring with a 60T one, but unsure of what other specs to look for (other than 130BCD). Is this suitable? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fast-Shi...075-Alloy-10-11-Speed-Chainring-60T-BCD-130mm

Thanks

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
7-9 speed chainrings, possibly 10 and 11 too, are all 2mm thick - only the thickness of the chain side plates and rivets differs. So yes. Even if the 10/11 speed ring is thinner, it will work. You are better off getting a singlespeed ring with no ramps or cutouts though. Just avoid 1/8" track stuff.

I'm running a "7 speed" NOS Sugino 56T on a 9 speed Moulton.

12boy

Guru
Vuelta sells fairly inexpensive flat chain rings up to 60 tooth. You can certainly use a 130 BCD crank and chain ring and you can use a 110 also. I've used both a 58 and 38 tooth chain rings on a JIS taper 119 bottom bracket although this requires "dirty finger shifting". The newer cranks/chainrings are 130 BCD and JIS. Even with 58, though, you have to be a little careful when folding or unfolding since the edge of the chain ring sticks out more towards the hook which locks onto the chain stay when folded.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
One thing to watch for is that the LH folding pedal won't push over the end of all cranks. Try before you buy, or get a "diamond" rather than a "square" taper crankset in case you have to go snd buy a LH Brompton crank.later.

Of course, if you use a non-folding pedal this isn't a concern

Top Bottom