Brompton Locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
What lock is best for a Brompton?

Yes, I know, I know, and even the guy in the shop said "you don't buy a lock for a Brompton, as you should never leave anywhere that needs a lock"

By hypothetically speaking, if "a friend" wanted to lock up a Brompton, as his company has just moved, and bikes now have to go into the CCTV covered, card accessed cage in the card accessed underground car park, which lock is best for a Brompton.

Ideally one that is lightweight, fits on the Brompton, and is a combination lock, so no more keys to carry,
Oh yes, and it would be good if it came in the Brompton range of frame colours as well, or fitted into a neat Brooks style leather case or something, either attached to the frame so as not to get in the way of the fold, or in a saddle bag possibly;

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
You missed make a morning cuppa and find the remote when it goes missing, from your list of requirements.

Same as any other lock & fit it through the little frame triangle, the good thing is that when folded, one lock can secure frame and both wheels.

You sound like you're veering towards a cable lock to fit all the criteria, which sounds ok as you describe work security measures but with 2nd hand Brommy's fetching such a premium making them popular with thieves given the chance, it would not be my choice, especially if you would be tempted to use it other than in the multi security layered work compound.

You can get higher level security chain/cable type locks but they're invariably a complex key type, as heavy as a D-lock and quite bulky even when coiled round the frame for storage.

Reactions: PBB

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If I really had to lock it up, I'd go for the heaviest, most powerful D lock around, and throw it into my front pannier with all the other stuff that accumulates in there.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If its a card access cage, in a card access car park, then I'd use a D-lock but leave it at work in the cage! Any cable lock can be cut in seconds, and a decent D lock is heavy.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Put the cover on it and take it into your office. If this is absolutely impossible, then as others say, use a Sold Secure Gold D-lock. Cable locks are all made of cheese and are worse than useless as you think of it as locked when it really isn't.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If I really had to lock it up, I'd go for the heaviest, most powerful D lock around, and throw it into my front pannier with all the other stuff that accumulates in there.
Put the cover on it and take it into your office. If this is absolutely impossible, then as others say, use a Sold Secure Gold D-lock. Cable locks are all made of cheese and are worse than useless as you think of it as locked when it really isn't.
^These. Leave the lock locked in the cage thobut, as per @TheDoctor .

OP
OP
Brains

Brains

Legendary Member
I have bought a
ABUS Bordo Combo Lite 6150/85 Folding Lock
Which seems to tick most of the boxes, OK it's not that secure, in that a decent pair of bolt cutters will get through it in about 15 seconds, but then again that is true of most locks. But it will do as a reasonably secure lock for a place where people cant just wander up with a pair of bolt cutters, in other words this is a 'pub lock' at best, but at 600g it's half the weight of a D lock and a lot neater (and available in Red, White and Black!)

I
upload_2015-9-21_23-8-54.png

upload_2015-9-21_23-6-56.png

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops

OP
OP
Brains

Brains

Legendary Member
Is a lock that can be cut in 15 seconds really even a lock?
Most locks can be cut in under 15 seconds with the right bit of kit
There was a review of the top selling 30 motorbike locks, which obviously tend to be a lot stronger and heavier than any cycle lock.
The longest held out for 90 seconds

Basically you can only realistically have a lock that can not be got through with a pair of cable cutters, or a small bolt cutter, and ideally have two different types of lock, requiring two different tools to get through, and more to the point, ensure your bike is not the best one on the rack

12boy

Guru
Leave the D lock at work as srw and several others said. Kinda like when you and your friends are being chased by a bear. You don't have to be the fastest, just not the slowest. If the other bikes have cable locks perhaps they will steal them first.

StuartG

slower but further
Yep the major problem breaking this lock was the instability brought about by the design and the problem of bringing maximum force to the joint for sufficient time. I'm sure after the first 2/3 attempts I would have switched to breaking a more conventional lock. So just make sure there's another bike near ...

Still kudos for breaking the lock without taking out the front tube too!

Top Bottom