Brompton M2R New owner - Questions about QR on seat post and folding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe Brom

Regular
The moral of this story is a qr you know to have been used by a previous owner may not have been used correctly. You'd be amazed how often this happens on seat clamps and wheels. Good on ya for getting a new one only you have fiddled with.

OP
OP
bence8810

bence8810

Almost a week into the clamp upgrade, wanted to post back.

The seatpost is slipping but nothing major. A little annoying but I see this happens to a lot of users. I am a big guy and also ride semi-hard so I can't really complain - I try to de-weight the seat on bumps etc and like this its manageable. I also think (hope I am not dreaming) that it is getting better a little every day, perhaps the new seat post I had just installed had some oil / residue on it.

The drivetrain noise is not a problem, I watched many videos online and all bromptons are like this. My Dahon was a lot quieter, I guess it is just the different components being used. The Brompton is definitely of the better of the two systems, there is a lot less rolling resistance from what I can see.

Very happy with the bike, have put in about 100km's over the weekend and all is working well!

Thanks again,
Ben

12boy

Guru
If you read this forum you have encountered an easy fix for seat slippage... a 31.8 seat QR with the lip filed off used on the seat post just above the seat tube. It will definitely keep the post from sliding down. Just release it too when folding the bike. The other cheap and easy thing is to use the seat post limiter that you cut so as to only allow the seat to up as much as you need. If you are frequently having to readjust for slippage this will make that a lot easier.

OP
OP
bence8810

bence8810

If you read this forum you have encountered an easy fix for seat slippage... a 31.8 seat QR with the lip filed off used on the seat post just above the seat tube.

Yes - I have that QR thing added to my cart on a major e-retailer's site but really don't like the idea of having two clamps. I will see for a bit more if it improves on its own, I do believe in miracles. If not, I'll perhaps go for an extra QR.

Thanks,
Ben

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you read this forum you have encountered an easy fix for seat slippage... a 31.8 seat QR with the lip filed off used on the seat post just above the seat tube. It will definitely keep the post from sliding down. Just release it too when folding the bike. The other cheap and easy thing is to use the seat post limiter that you cut so as to only allow the seat to up as much as you need. If you are frequently having to readjust for slippage this will make that a lot easier.

I spoke to Brompton Junction in Hamburg and they didnt rate the seat post limiter at all.

Kell

Veteran
I spoke to Brompton Junction in Hamburg and they didnt rate the seat post limiter at all.

I think it's really useful.

Takes a bit of fettling to get it exactly right, but now I pull the seatpost as far up as it will go and just make sure the seat's pointing forwards. I can't see how anyone would think it wasn't a good addition...

(The only exception to this is when I hired a Brompton with an extending post. I pulled the bottom bit out to the full length, then set the top bit to the correct height. Then all I ever needed to do was leave the top bit clamped in place and pull the bottom bit right up.)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The Pentaclip has some adjustment, including moving the saddle rails between top and bottom clamps. Playing with this can get your saddle so that raising the seatpost fully makes the length just right :biggrin:
And it's always worth degreasing the seatpost as a first move.

Top Bottom