Brompton Monkii clip question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plumpton

Regular
Hi all

Fitted one of those monkii clips to the handlebar stem on my Brompton and it looks like its going to fowl with the cables coming down from the handle bars.

Anyone used one of these clips. Have I done something wrong?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi all

Fitted one of those monkii clips to the handlebar stem on my Brompton and it looks like its going to fowl with the cables coming down from the handle bars.

Anyone used one of these clips. Have I done something wrong?
I found with my s-type that you had to faff about with the position to prevent fouling. I did get it to work.

Kell

Veteran
It depends on where you put it.

When I first got mine, I mounted it directly behind the stem as I used it for my water bottle and wanted quick access. The only downside to this was when folding the bike, the bottle sticks out. This in turn made it difficult to get the bike in our car, which meant removing the bottle every time it was folded. But I appreciate this won't be a problem for everyone.

In this instance, I had it mounted quite high as follows:

13095964_10153387180871021_4956593045653300318_n.jpg

But over the winter, I've used it to store a modified water bottle that houses my battery for my front light. Because I keep this bottle on all the time, and because of the problem with the fold, I've mounted it offset and while the cables sometimes snag, it's not caused any problems with turning. The best advice is to do a final fit with the bike folded so you can see where it needs to go, mine butts up perfectly against the luggage block when fully folded down and doesn't stick out wider than the forks.

13055405_10153387180991021_7546261679162683282_n.jpg

zIiUre4X.jpg

Kell

Veteran
PS - don't over tighten it...

AS you might be able to make out in the second picture, mine snapped on one of the hinges* and I had to bodge it with a couple of cable ties.

*Not when I was tightening it, but when I was riding along.

PPS - I fitted mine over a band of old inner tube as it can damage the paintwork and it also helps to grip.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Fitted mine on my S type behind the stem and did not tighten until sure position was right for folding. Never occurred to me not to take the bottle off before folding. Could be messy leaving it on upside down with liquid in and it would interfere with the fold. You are warned not to over tighten or clamps could break. I find it excellent.

Kell

Veteran
On the Monkii Clip website they show them folding it, then taking it off and refitting it upside down so that the liquid doesn't flow out.

For me, It's just that taking it off means one more thing to have to worry about putting somewhere. When I get on the train, I've got to take my helmet, gloves and glasses off and put them somewhere, then take my rucksack off and store that. If I had to worry about the bottle as well, you can guarantee I'd forget something. :blush:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Would you be kind enough to post a picture of your installation?

IMG_1988.JPG

IMG_2093.JPG

Top Bottom