Brompton - Need help to identify

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I do gather the wheelbase changed.
Lengthened?
Mine will be the old one.
Anyone ridden both and can compare the effect of the wheelbase change?

There does seem to be a concensus that, with all the little gradual changes, the newer bikes are nicer.

Gunk

Guru
I do gather the wheelbase changed.
Lengthened?
Mine will be the old one.
Anyone ridden both and can compare the effect of the wheelbase change?

There does seem to be a concensus that, with all the little gradual changes, the newer bikes are nicer.

As I said in my previous post I've ridden both, the longer wheelbase does ride better, it's bit less twitchy.

12boy

Guru
The 2 speed setup, at least to me, does seem quieter. Definitely is lighter. Your 3 speed should have a greater gear range. My 2010 has new rear triangle bushings and feels tighter. I replaced the brake levers, as the original levers were wiggly, but it stopped well before and it continues to do so. The new ones were $20 and allow me to replace cable more readily. I've heard a lot about the "improvements" but I don't really get it. The hubs, both SA and 1-2 speed are the same. The frame, forks and rear triangle are the same as mine. The seat post and sleeve are the same. I have Ergon grips, SPDs and a leather saddle which would go on a new one, and I like the shifters I have. The only change for me would be the brakes and the jazzier paint jobs. However, I am prepared to be schooled on this by wiser chatters. Being 71 I think of this little beast as a "lifetime" bike.

berlinonaut

Veteran
As I said in my previous post I've ridden both, the longer wheelbase does ride better, it's bit less twitchy.
I cannot recognize relevant differences in riding that would be caused by the wheelbase. Obviously a bike of 25 years of age and a brandnew one ride somewhat differently, caused alone by being less worn and having different, more modern parts and construction details. The more if one is a 2-speed and one is a 2-speed. The rear hinge bearing being worn will make a massive difference. Tires make a difference. I assume both are M-types? In case the 2-speed is an S-type differences in riding are caused by this. It is really astonishing how different the various Brompton types ride.

In fact I would personally not buy a MK2 for my needs if I could get an MK4 instead - but not because of the shorter wheelbase.

Top Bottom