Brompton quick release axels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

latusaki

I am expecting my first brompton soon, a single speed with S handle and mudguards. I know already I want to change the axels for quick release. Sjs cycles seems to have one for the front, but can't find any rear one. Has anyone done this change? The idea of carrying a spanner on longer rides to fix a flat is not very pleasing, plus it just feels pointless to have those nuts..

jay clock

Massive member
You've got it all wrong. It is going to take you an hour to change a puncture on a Brompton if you have the Schwalbe tyres so a minute on the nuts is nothing.... also you can use this natty tool kit!

I also have a feeling that for those with gears a rear QR will not be possible

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You've got it all wrong. It is going to take you an hour to change a puncture on a Brompton if you have the Schwalbe tyres so a minute on the nuts is nothing.... also you can use this natty tool kit!

I also have a feeling that for those with gears a rear QR will not be possible
It takes me 10 minutes to change a Marathon Plus on my Brompton. Is the other 50 minutes a coffee break? 😁🍵

I wouldnt bother with QRs. The axles on Bromptons only take a couple of seconds to undo and are more secure than QRs

Last edited:

berlinonaut

Veteran
I am expecting my first brompton soon, a single speed with S handle and mudguards. I know already I want to change the axels for quick release. Sjs cycles seems to have one for the front, but can't find any rear one. Has anyone done this change?
You can simply use the original hub - it already has a hole of appropriate size in it that you can use for a quick release axle. You'll have to sorrowly cut the original hub-axle to size accordingly plus, as the Brompton has (and needs) two nuts on the drive side of the axle, lengthen the threat on the quick release axle a bit plus use an additional nut. Recommendation would be i.e. the nut that comes with the axle to the SON wheels. Should easily be available as a spare part. This would be your inner nut under the chain tensioner while for the outer you can use the one from the quick release axle.
And yes, this has been done before, already years ago for the same reasons that you mention. And no, not by me. 👅 To me it is not worth the hassle (or has not until now).

Top Bottom