Brompton Rear Wheel question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazyfatgit

The rear wheel on my 2008 6 speed is looking a little sad. I found a couple of broken spokes last week and on removing the wheel there are a few looking like they have stress fractures and may ping at any moment. I've ordered up some spokes to get it going but the hubs a bit scratchy too and i'm thinking a new wheel may be desirable.

It doesn't look like these wheels (single wall rim, Sram hub) are available now. Does anyone know the difference in the ratio from the BWR wheel to the standard 3 speed?

12boy

Guru
Check out the Sheldon Brown gear inch calculator. By plugging in the wheel size, chain ring, hub cog and type of rear hub it will tell you exactly what the gear inches will be. Both hubs have the second gear as 1:1. The wide range Brompton first goes down to b 64% of that while the regular is .75. The high on the Brompton wide is 1:57 % while the regular is 1.33. The Brompton wide range works out to a 55 gear inch range while the regular is 34.8. hope that helps.

12boy

Guru
After posting it occurred to me that the Brompton Wide ratio has almost the same range as a SA 5 speed, but with two gears missing. Those two are the same as 1st and 3rd on the regular 3 speed.

Top Bottom