Brompton rear wheel rebuilding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sonltt

Hi,

I'm a newbie and I'm looking for a guide to rebuild rear wheel for my 2012 M3L Brompton

as advised by Brompton I have bought the
Brompton 16 Inch Double wall Rim, Angle Drilled and the Brompton Spoke and Nipple Set Single Butted 146mm Silver

This set is used for 2-cross lacing.

I've tried searching, however, I cannot find any proper tutorial, the results were either too complicated or mostly for 3-cross pattern or bigger size wheels.

So if you could help me find a guide to build the Brompton rear wheel, I would greatly appreciate.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Hi,

I'm a newbie and I'm looking for a guide to rebuild rear wheel for my 2012 M3L Brompton

as advised by Brompton I have bought the
Brompton 16 Inch Double wall Rim, Angle Drilled and the Brompton Spoke and Nipple Set Single Butted 146mm Silver

This set is used for 2-cross lacing.

I've tried searching, however, I cannot find any proper tutorial, the results were either too complicated or mostly for 3-cross pattern or bigger size wheels.

So if you could help me find a guide to build the Brompton rear wheel, I would greatly appreciate.

2 or 3 cross is the same principle so instead of crossing over the first 2 spokes you only cross over one and under the second spoke.

The process of building a 29er or a 20" is the same.

You can look at some videos on youtube.

Brommyboy

Über Member
The most important thing is to start at the valve hole so as to get two parallel spokes past the valve, otherwise two crossing spokes will prevent the tube from being inflated!

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
The most important thing is to start at the valve hole so as to get two parallel spokes past the valve, otherwise two crossing spokes will prevent the tube from being inflated!
You would have thought that that would be a newbie's mistake but I have heard of a very popular wheel builder with this forum that even some pro make this mistake. I have seen a picture of it :giggle:

Top Bottom