Brompton S bag design flaws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

User66445

I have an S bag, bought in 2013. It is fine, but the strap is something I never use so decided to take it off. You can't. It is sewed in one side, so either you cut, or you waste a side pocket by rolling up the strap and putting it inside.

That's one thing. The other is potentially more serious: the plastic fitting that clips the frame to the mount is riveted with 4 rivets. Mine only has 3, since one has broken off, with a second beginning to work its way out. Given this is a high use stress point, I'm not convinced that sufficient quality rivets were used, or the QC was especially good. Given this bag is not inexpensive, I am a little disappointed. I have repaired the mount, but, even so, it's the only bag I've ever had to do so.

Anyway, I believe they've changed the design, which is kind of admitting there were flaws in the first place.

alicat

Legendary Member
Tell Brompton if it bothers you that much.

OP
OP
U

User66445

Well-used five year old thing beginning to show wear.

Well, colour me surprised.

No, colour you red with embarrassment. The first rivet disappeared after a couple of months. Also, what has wear to do with poor design? The shoulder strap would have had the problem on day one, and - you may have missed it - Brompton have, I believe, changed the design so the strap is now removable. Tacit admission of the original flaw.

OP
OP
U

User66445

User, you're talking nonsense, and who is whinging? It was the second rivet, plus the apparent redesign, of which I read only recently, that got me to reconsider. However, if you are one of those people who like being kicked and never complain, then don't put your values on other people.

alicat

Legendary Member
Brompton bag is over-priced and has slight design flaw and slight manufacturing defect that to their credit they have redesigned.

First world problem.

U

User10571

I replace the busted rivets in mine on a fairly regular basis.
I'm pretty sure that is down to me overloading the bag with stuff from Mr. Sainsbury's shelves.
TBH I prefer that to be the achille's heel of the bag, rather than the luggage block - which is much more difficult to repair if it fails.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom