Brompton seat advice - potential for damage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
An unknown idiotb at work has covered my stock Brompton saddle with either a solvent, oil or other lubricant. It was a shiny liquid, slightly greasy feeling and a little solventy smelling (I've a very poor sense of smell so I can't make a conclusion on what type of chemical it was). The saddle looked recently rained heavily on. Needless to say it was vandalism. I used a dry rag to wipe as much of it off that I could and the saddle looks a matt black but not noticeably damaged.

I was wondering whether there could be damage there or if there's anything in should get to rub into the saddle as a conditioner in case? It's not leather so I doubt there's a specific product but I'm curious as to what people think about this, should I do anything with the saddle? Any advice?

Of course I could just get a proper leather saddle but tbh I don't want to buy bits things to see it vandalised.

PS no idea who could have done it. There's a few people who are spiteful petty and childish enough to see an opportunity to vandalise and actually do it. Jealous that someone can afford something that costs what they think is a lot for a bike. £160 is an expensive bike to many there. Not many cycle for pleasure only last resort form of transport.

PPS Needless to say, I'm looking for a new stash spot for it tomorrow.

Tenkaykev

Guru
An unknown idiotb at work has covered my stock Brompton saddle with either a solvent, oil or other lubricant. It was a shiny liquid, slightly greasy feeling and a little solventy smelling (I've a very poor sense of smell so I can't make a conclusion on what type of chemical it was). The saddle looked recently rained heavily on. Needless to say it was vandalism. I used a dry rag to wipe as much of it off that I could and the saddle looks a matt black but not noticeably damaged.

I was wondering whether there could be damage there or if there's anything in should get to rub into the saddle as a conditioner in case? It's not leather so I doubt there's a specific product but I'm curious as to what people think about this, should I do anything with the saddle? Any advice?

Of course I could just get a proper leather saddle but tbh I don't want to buy bits things to see it vandalised.

PS no idea who could have done it. There's a few people who are spiteful petty and childish enough to see an opportunity to vandalise and actually do it. Jealous that someone can afford something that costs what they think is a lot for a bike. £160 is an expensive bike to many there. Not many cycle for pleasure only last resort form of transport.

PPS Needless to say, I'm looking for a new stash spot for it tomorrow.

Sorry to hear that, it’s inexcusable. Have you reported it to management? I’d certainly not risk riding on it as you can’t be sure what the side effects of the chemical might be. I’m not sure if it could be construed as attempted ABH? If it was me I’d ask the management to get the Police involved.
Meanwhile I’ve got a Charge Spoon that you can have FOC if you need a new saddle.

Top Bottom