brompton service?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris folder

Hi:hello: do any of you have your bike serviced by a brompton dealer say yearly or you do it yourself? I was chatting to a brompton dealer other day service £75 they tighten up few cables and check gears etc a squirt of oil on the chain. Some dealers charge more

12boy

Guru
That seems very high to me. Greasing cables 10 minutes each , max, truing wheels that are in good shape another 10-20 each, waxing or lubing a chain maybe 15 minutes, replacing brake pads maybe 10 minutes each. Adjusting an SA hub an extra 5 minutes over taking the cable off for regreasing...that seems like at least $75.00 /hr, and that's if you spend $37 on a new chain, grease and brake pads, all of which I could buy easily enough for $25 or less. Practice on these things would really speed them up. Keeping your LBS going is of course another factor. For $111.00 or 75 pounds..have no pound symbol... I would expect all the above. None of those tasks is very difficult and the only specialized tools needed are a truing stand $60-110, a spoke wrench $9, a chain breaker $15.00 and 10 and 15 mm wrenches which one should already have. 2 of those tuneups would cover all that. Plus you would have the pleasure of working on the bike,writing posts to resolve any problems you encounter and knowing you could keep your machine in tiptop shape all year long without waiting for an annual tuneup!

12boy

Guru
The other thing I forgot is repacking the front hub and the headset. i have a Chris King headset on my B which requires 0 maintenance so far, so I do not know how long that would take but my hub is easily done with a couple of cone wrenches. The other advantage to doing this stuff yourself is you can do only one task at a time and spend maybe 1/2 hr a month or so keeping it tip top.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I have had my Brompton serviced by a shop before and they did do more than that. They replaced all the worn parts. It cost quite a lot but it felt like a new bike.

OP
OP
C

chris folder

Hi most dealers normally do 3 services. Silver , bronze and gold I asked a dealer other day how much is gold £110:wacko: what do they use purple extreme lube on the chain for the gold and not muc off lube like other services:laugh:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Most dealers do three services - silver, bronze and gold?
You don't know what you're talking about. Obviously.
You've looked up Evans. There are loads of other Brompton dealers out there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom